1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

The Military Personally Procured Move Program

Page 2


Coordinating Instructions

*Vehicles must be weighed empty AND full.

*Trucks, Motor Homes (contact Personal Property Office for additional information) and POV: Driver and all passengers must be out of vehicle and gas tank must be full each time vehicle is weighed. You MUST make every effort to weigh the vehicle at one time, either on a large platform scale or on two or more smaller scales. Be sure you have your vehicle weighed at a "CERTIFIED" weigh station. You can usually find them at truck stops along major highways. State operated weigh stations along interstates usually can not issue certified weight tickets. Note: Any POV in tow must be disconnected prior to weighing.

*Utility Trailers and Travel Trailers (contact Personal Property Office for additional information): Driver and all passengers must be out of trailer. Rear seats, truck and car top carriers must be empty and gas tank must be full to obtain empty weight. The towing vehicle and trailer must be weighed as a complete unit at one time on a large platform scale or on two smaller scales. Axle weights are acceptable.

*Weight Ticket Identification: To ensure proper identification of the weight tickets and subsequent payment of your incentive allowance, it is essential that the following information be included on each weight ticket obtained:

  • Imprint or official stamp with name and location of Weigh Station
  • Signature and title of official certifying the weighing
  • Legible imprint of the weight and date recorded.
  • Your name, rank, and social security number.
  • Identification of vehicle weighed. You should retain a copy of each weight ticket for your personal records.


The Government is not liable for any loss or damages that occur during a personally procured move. Since you perform all of the packing and transportation by yourself or with the assistance of a contracted carrier, any loss or damage is presumed to be the result of your or your agent's improper packing or handling. Therefore, as a general rule, if you choose to do a personally procured move, the military claims office will not pay a claim for loss or damage.

If you elect to move yourself or personally procure commercial moving services, you should contract for the shipment of your goods with a liability limit of at least $1.25 times the net weight of the shipment. You should also seriously consider purchasing commercial insurance coverage, either through the moving company or through a commercial insurance company to protect yourself from financial loss.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have or purchase the proper insurance to cover all rental equipment, your POV, and your household goods. When using a commercial HHG carrier you should ensure the carrier provides insurance on your HHG in accordance with local and state laws.

You may be held personally responsible if you have inadequate insurance coverage to satisfy all damage and third party claims or lawsuits resulting from an accident. Additional insurance, if required, must be procured by you, the member, and is not reimbursable by the Government. If you are involved in an accident while driving a rental vehicle, you may be required to pay.

You should consider purchasing insurance deductible waivers (at personal expense) from the rental company as well as reviewing your own automobile and personal property insurance coverage.

  1. About.com
  2. Careers
  3. US Military
  4. The Orderly Room
  5. Assignments
  6. The Military Personally Procured Move Program

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.