1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Military Do-it-Yourself (DITY) Moves

The Personally Procured Move Program


Military Do-it-Yourself (DITY) Moves
The U.S. Army/Flickr

Normally, when a person in the military makes a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move, the government hires a commercial contractor to pack and move their household goods (HHG). The military will move, free of charge, HHG, up to the member's authorized weight limit (which depends on rank and whether or not the member has dependents).

However, if the member does not wish to use a military contractor to move their personal property, there is an alterative. The Personally Procured Move Program (formerly Do-it-Yourself [DITY] Move) is designed to provide the military member an alternative to move their household goods on their own. Members may move their personal property themselves, using rental equipment, their own vehicle, or by hiring their own commercial carrier.

Under this program military members can receive reimbursement up to 100% of the Government Constructive Cost (GCC), if they hire their own carrier, or an incentive payment of 95% of the GCC, if they move the property on their own. An advance operating allowance can be authorized to defray out of pocket moving expense (rental equipment, HHG mover charges, packing material, etc.).

The Government Constructed Cost (GCC) is defined as the amount it would have cost the government to move the member's personal property during a government procured move up to but not exceeding the member's authorized weight allowance. During a member's initial property counseling at the military Personal Property Office, an estimate is made of their actual property weight. It's important that this weight be as accurate as possible. Over-estimating may result in a lower reimbursement or incentive payment.

Individual situations may vary widely so prior to making a personally procured move it is recommended that the military member be counseled and get approval by the base personal property office. Failure to get approval from the personal property office MAY result in non-payment of the reimbursement claim or incentive payment. Contact your local Personal Property Office to help you determine the most cost-effective method of moving your household goods.

NOTE: Personally procured moves to overseas areas are not recommended. It's almost impossible to move your property to an overseas location for what the government pays contractors to do.

Participation in the Personally Procured Move Program is voluntary. Military members may chose a Personally Procured Move, a Government Move, or a combination of the two methods, subject to entitlement limitations.


The personally procured move program offers the following options:

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV): A privately owned vehicle can be used to effect your move. If you use a travel trailer or motor home, contact your Personal Property Shipping Office for special guidance. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

Rental Vehicle: You procure the rental equipment and the accessories yourself and perform all the labor. Sources of rental equipment must be bona-fide rental vendors such as RYDER, U-HAUL, etc. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

Commercial: You contract directly with commercial carriers vice rental contractors. Incentives for this type of move are authorized under public law, and will be calculated on the same basis as a PERSONALLY PROCURED MOVE by rental vehicle or POV. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.