Military berets are not designed to be worn off the rack. They must first be shaved and shaped to present the sharpest military image
Time Required: One or Two Days
- Using a cigarette lighter, burn most of the "fuzzies" off the material.
- Using a disposable razor, shave the beret until you have a very smooth surface.
- Cut the tag off below the beret size lettering. You've done it right if, when you put the beret on, the tag can never show even if it gets flipped over.
- Pull the headband drawstring tight and tie it off in a square not. DO NOT CUT IT YET!
- Take the beret and dunk it in warm (not hot!) water.
- Once you get it soaking wet, put it on your noggin and pull the stiffner over your left eye and smooth the material over your head and pull it down towards your right ear. It should just touch your ear or go just below that.
- Once you've got it all set, wear it for a while until it's sort of dry.
- Carefully take it off and set it down to dry. You may need to shape it a few times to get it right.
- Once you're happy, cut the excess drawstring off and get your flash sewn on.
- Many people's noggin's don't fit the "issue" beret. Go to the PX and try one on. You may have to buy one commercially, instead.
- When you're burning the "fuzzies" off, do it outside. It's a smelly process.
- Shave the inside as well, unless you like pulling fuzzies out of your high and tight.
- If you really need to shrink the material, use hotter water when you soak it.
What You Need
- Disposable Razor
- Hot Water
- Cigarette Lighter