1. Careers

Rod Powers

Obama Planning To Cut Healthcare Benefits For Active Duty and Retired Military

By February 6, 2013

The Obama administration's proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers' benefits untouched. The proposal is causing a major rift within the Pentagon, according to US officials. Several congressional aides suggested the move is designed to increase the enrollment in Obamacare's state-run insurance exchanges, according to a New Media Journal article.

The disparity in treatment between civilian and uniformed personnel is causing a backlash within the military that could undermine recruitment and retention.

Comments
February 11, 2013 at 3:42 pm
(1) Cpt Kirk says:

Obummer want military to pay sharply more for health care, What a CROCK of $h-t

February 12, 2013 at 9:12 am
(2) Mike says:

Obama wants everyone except his union friends to pay more. Maybe it’s time to unionize the military, then we can strike against the President’s demands. You guys voted him into office. Did you HOPE he would CHANGE??

February 12, 2013 at 9:23 am
(3) ZoomieUSAF says:

This is not new, the source article is dated 27 Jan 2012. These increases have been mostly blocked. Why is this being presented as new? You are doing those in uniform and retirees a disservice by wasting their time. Please present timely articles if you would like to help keep us informed.

February 12, 2013 at 11:50 am
(4) Earl Smith says:

H., I first enlisted in the Air Force in 1959. Since then I kept on reenlisting for the benefits, especially since I was promised free Health Care after I retired. Now that our Government has already started charging some for this service and now wants to raise that cost to us, means that it is a shame that we are not able to sue the Federal Government, with a class action lawsuit, in-order to regain what we had been promised. Maybe someday we can. Now, I can agree that the service we get, for the amount we have to pay is a bargain, however if the Government keeps on raising our costs, then someday there will be no more Healthcare Benefits, so just why would anyone want to enlist in the Military except maybe to be able to get some occupation training & experience and then after the first hitch get out, and make some money so that one would be able to afford HealthCare benefits? Thank You Earl

February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(5) Lew Gibbs says:

An open letter to all the Political Prostitutes in DC. I served 30 years in service to my country. I was promised certain “EARNED BENEFITS” for that service. These were promised engraved in stone benefit’s NOT ENTITLEMENTS !!!
Stop your pork barrel politics and all of your perks, that you have voted for yourself’s. Put yourself’s on the same retirement system as the military has.
You feather your nest’s and take away BENEFIT’S from the Military Retiree”s .
I could go on “Ad-infinitum”, listing your chicanery but I have things to accomplish today. I realize that I am spitting into the wind and would ask all that read this consider the DRIP method in voting. DO NOT REELECT INCUMBENT POLITICIANS.

February 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm
(6) Chuck SChultz says:

As a recently retired military reservist mobilized several times to Act Duty I will comment on this article.

The Health care benefits are free for the member. I am now on the civilian side and paying 400.00 a month for BCBS family coverage, more than many local civilian employers. Lets not rush to judgement that the non uniformed members are getting more! The average military member makes a good paycheck with great benefits so stay Navy if you can and stop complaining!

February 19, 2013 at 11:31 am
(7) HANK HILL says:

i can think of safer jobs than warfighting! even no job at all would pay more!! pharaoh barak insane obama FUBO FUBAR!

February 26, 2013 at 8:52 am
(8) Chas says:

Cpt Kirk needs to spend little more on learning how to speak correctly. Then they might get out of the crock. They sound like the problem not the solution. Have good day.

February 26, 2013 at 9:39 am
(9) Nelson Mejia says:

Good morning all, I agree with all comments made, I serve for 33 years n 4 months, now every time, I read the news, is some kind of cut to active or retired service member, am really sorry for the recruiter, what are they going to offer, lie?.

Nelson Mejia
Retired, SFC, army of one/strong

February 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(10) rewinn says:

The source for this article is a political blog that, unsurprisingly, flogs its political POV but must not be confused with a reliable source. The actual quotations from an objective source (Dempsey) refer to means-testing benefits, which may be a bad idea but is not one whose advocacy is limited to Obama’s staff or to Obama’s critics … it’s a popular idea among budget-cutters of every kind.

Every other quote in that blog post is from a paid critter of a particular political party just trying to rile you up against the other guy.
Be smarter than that!

February 27, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(11) gene says:

I agree with the one writer; what will the recruiters have to tout now if more and more is cut from the benefits of a military career? I was career Af for 21 years and looking forward to retirement only to find things slowly going downhill ever since. I was a volunteer when the draft was in effect. I will admit the lifetime medical bemefit as touted then did help me make up my mind but I also had a throughly liked job making the career a plus. True I did have to pull up stakes and relocate at times and was always available for any war/skirmish that came down the pike. Now many vets have problems with getting proper careat VA facilities because of cutbacks and the paper mill. I have reached an opinion after whatching all that’s happens since retirement that I’ll keep to myself. I also recently read an article about how at least 2 congress people want to introduce a bill to diestablish the selective service registration. Where do these idots think the military is going to come from if they do institute all their changes under the guise of saving money? I paid into SS my whole life and medicare since it’s inception and the constant changes in these programs are also an insult to the American People. I now pay federal income tax on my SS, a higher medicare fee, as well as taxes on my military retirement and yet they want more. WHEN WILL IT ALL END?

February 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(12) Tom says:

I agree with what Gene said and I would add, as a military retiree for 27 years, I am appalled at the treatment our military members are receiving.
Having retired in 1985 after a 20 year career in the Navy, my first retainer was $750.00 per month After getting COLA raises some years, it took until 2010 for my retainer to double. What did the cost of living increase during those 27 years? Without keeping records and comparing costs of milk, bread, housing, etc., it would be difficult to say and be correct. However, I remember gas at 45 cents, bread at 60 cents, apartment at $175.00 per month. You all know what food and gas costs are today. An apartment in this area will be closer to $1000.00 per month.
I wrote to my congressman and expressed my concerns and did not even receive a reply that addressed my concerns.
I will say the medical benifits retired military members received in the 80′s and 90′s were very affordable. Not so much lately! With my turning 65 this year, my costs for my “FREE” medical care will go up about 600%.
I gave my country the 20 best years of my life and this is what I get in return! Broken promises!
Tom

March 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(13) James says:

For the last 10 years I’ve been pushing my troops to get school started as soon as they completed their mandatory training. Everyone of them then have the option of staying in or getting out with a balanced choice. Use their degrees or stay in for a military career. I started terminal leave a few weeks ago and due to retire out 1 June after 20 and I’m damn proud that a few of my troops were there out processing the military when I was. Very few of my troops stayed in past 4 years because of what the government is doing to us. As I recommend now get the GI Bill and get out. With them cutting TA that’s the only thing worth a damn anymore.

February 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm
(14) mott says:

It makes me sick to see the enlisted get it up the butt time and time again.
They put their lives.on the line for us and then good ole Obama takes away from them!!! It disguises me and the gov’t should.be ashamed of themselves.