1. Careers

Rod Powers

How Do You Report a Romance Scam?

By November 27, 2012

I get a lot of e-mails from devastated people claiming they have just figured out their online lover, claiming to be deployed in the U.S. Military, took advantage of their kind heart and stole their money. Some foreigners even ask me for an explanation! I wish I could retrieve the funds and see the criminals to justice, but I'm afraid it's just not that simple. That's why I've developed a "How to Report an Online Romance Scam" article. While you may not ever see a dime back of your losses, reporting what you know can help warn others and get a handle on this growing epidemic!

Comments
December 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(1) Tom Purple says:

When I was deployed last year, I was getting strange emails and posts to my Facebook from women I never met. I found out that my photos were being used to con women for money and personal information. Many of the women contacted me to warn me about someone stealing my identy.

Here is how the con artist steals the image. They see your social network page, in my case Facebook. They copy the images they want and use those images to send to their victims. Sometimes they even set up fake Facebook pages with the copied photos.

The women who are victims contacted me through several channels, through my Facebook, or LinkedIn, through the Chain of Command or Army Public Affairs. It is embarassing to receive those phone calls or emails, but I do answer each inquiry.

Several of the women, that were victims felt like they were really in love with me. They become devasted when they find out that I never knew them, and in some cases were victims of a fraud. I do feel sorry for them, and several cases they want to have a relationship. Then it is up to me to tell them I am not interested and that I am not available.

December 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(2) Tom Purple says:

Continued -

Here are some lessons learned for me. Keep your images and your soical network access on the highest security settings. Don’t let anyone you don’t know to friend you. I have noticed recently I have had several attempts from people in Africa to friend me on Facebook.

If you are a military leader, inform your warriors to secure their own settings.

Ladies, if are friended by a military member you don’t know, use caution. Don’t give out to much information about yourself right away.

If a US Service member asks for money, close him down, It is a scam.

Also be aware there is no way we as a Service will leave a warrior in a country that he needs to pay to get out.

There are no government forms that need to be filled out by you so a soldier can visit you on leave.

And ladies, if a any guy says he has fallen in love with you, just over emails or text chats, that is a red flag, don’t walk, but run in the opposite direction.

I hope this helps, because I have heard from many women who saw my photo and thought they were in a relationship with me. I felt their embarassment and hurt when they realized they were decieved. Please don’t fall victim to these criminals.

The Real, Colonel Tom Purple

December 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(3) Tammy says:

ive been scammed, by a gbolly general whom set me up with a colonel john alfred. how can people be so cruel? i totaly thought this john was real & yes stupid me fell for it at the worst possible time. i cant take this its not fair, ive been through some horrible abusive relationships id much rather have my ass beat than to have my heart & head messed with & for what? for money?? & to make it worse using the army. im a single momma of two, & for someone to just use people this way gives america & its soldiers a bad name.. thanks tammy in california.

March 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm
(4) ruth says:

I have also been close to being scammed. The so called soldier asked me to help pay for medication for his son as his bank card had been broken. He stated he is in Nigeria on deployment yet no troops are there. He has since been injured
. But odd things keep going on with his online accounts.I actually cared alot about this person and can’t afford to help yet am being told I am cruel by not helping. :(

March 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm
(5) Dawn says:

I have been scammed a lieutenant general James L Terry found me and within three days was declaring his undying love for me, he was going to fly me over to Georgia in the states and ‘present’ me to President Obama the day after he had a parcel that needed paying for £1,200 and he would give me the money back with 100% interest when he got over here I asked him for a cam chat and so far he has avoided putting the camera on so maybe I will ask him to send me a photo of him holding a board with my name on it via e-mail. He is supposedly 1 of the highest ranking officers within the US military with very high intelligence but the way he writes things down does not seem to come from a highly intelligent man I said I was a patient woman and would wait for his troops to sort his camera then his reply was ‘thank you for your patient’ does that sound like a highly intelligent man? I think not!!!!!

April 8, 2013 at 9:02 am
(6) Janet McGowan says:

Dawn its all a scam just today online on a dating site I have had 4 different so called us military high rank men chat to me…..Its the same story all the time they are widowers with a child looking for long term relationships!!
they ask all sorts of questions, then it comes to the money part lol
they tell you some bull like they need so much money for either a parcel or for you to have a video call with them so they need you to send USD to an email address!! first but they will pay you the money back
its all lies DON’T BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY!!
As these MEN are scammers who steal other men’s pictures and family details they even make up a face book page with these false details
Wish you luck in finding real love just becareful online Jan from Scotland

April 15, 2013 at 10:46 am
(7) Tina says:

I think I’m being scammed. I joined a dating site to meet new people and a COLONEL THOMAS PURPLE has been sending messages. He says he is currently deployed in afghanistan on a peace keeping mission. He told me he’s been divorced for 3 years and he has a 21 year old son in military college in Georgia. He said he owns a house in Miami and is planning his retirement. When he first messaged me he told me I was like an angel sent from God. I thought it was cheesy coming from a high ranking official. He kept asking about my job and if I lived alone. I made the mistake of telling him my background. He told me he wanted to date me. I joked and asked him how I would know I’m not being catfished. He didn’t answer. When I told him purple was my favorite color, he told me his was green and pink. What high ranking US military official would ever admit pink is his favorite color? This is when I decided to google this guy and found out the real Colonel Purple is from Illinois, not Miami, and he already retired. Then I came across this site. I’m cutting contact and blocking him. This is why I hate Internet dating!

May 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(8) shirene says:

If I send a picture of someone of whom I think is scamming me on facebook,will you be able to track his real name

May 31, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(9) LaFaye Moore says:

I received a friend request from Cpt Johnson Bennett. we have chatted for a week, he’s in Afghanistan, peace keeping. He asked and sent specific directions for a phone call 450 USD. US Servicemen don’t have to do that. REDFLAG. He sounded so sincere and was most sincere in his fb msgs. I don’t let go of my money easily. I hope some innocent soldier is not a victim along with me but fear this is the case. I will never send money to someone I don’t know.

June 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(10) C GREEN says:

Received a request for friendship from a Capt in US Army based in Qalat, Afghanistan. I realised it was a scam after a couple of week, when this so called ‘soldier’ started to get serious. He said he was 48 in July when he retires and will be with his son who just happens to be living in London, UK, we should all meet and go to Brazil for a vacation, then be a family! I felt that the next question he would want money! I got him to voice mail me and THEN I KNEW I WAS RIGHT! No American accent and his language changed! Well I laughed my head off, he is supposed to be 48 years old and theres me 66 years old! The mind boggles. Anyway, contacted the other ladies on his site, informed them this was a scam. Some got very upset.I was the lucky one! I have kept a transcript of our conversations if anyone ever needs them, should they find the horrible people who do this,.
The name he goes under is: CAPT GEORGE WALTER, DALLAS, TEXAS.
I wish I could put the picture on a site to warn the REAL man what is going on with his photos and family!
Good luck everyone, AND BE CAREFUL!

June 22, 2013 at 8:16 am
(11) Tammy says:

I have had many men from the dating site topface from facebook… lie to me about who they are and eventually asked me for money to send to help pay hospital bills or to get a leave of absence from the military to see me.. why do these men do this?this last one really got my blood boiling!…named David Raley in the US army he said.. deployed in afghan but coming home in august.. and a caregiver was taking care of his daughter age 11 and she was in the hospital and had a heart condition and malarea and needed 200 dollars more to pay the hospital.. um i told him military family members get care free! that was my clue and he got mad and said i didnt care about him and he moved on to the next victim..wow!! be careful ladies!!!

July 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm
(12) Jemma says:

This person knows how to scam look at all these profiles. Same photo’s but different names.
For surname Royce US Army

1.Royce Brown, Resides Miami, Florida, birthdate aug 8 1970

2.Raymond Royce studied at Started Working at US Army Fort Benning

3.Stephen Royce Works at The U.S. Army Lives in Kabul, Afghanistan From Salt Lake City, Utah

4.Bob Royce Worked at US Army Fort Benning Studied at American Military University Lives in Kabul, Afghanistan From Louisville, Kentucky – June 21

5.Royce Jeffrey born Hometown — Watertown, New York. Studied at Himalayan Institute of Yoga Science and Philosophy Past: U.S. Army, Department of Combat Medic Training. There’s a wedding ring on in that photo.

6.Royce Fred Works at U.S Army Infantry, The U.S. Army and US Army Fort BenningStudied at U.S. Army War College Past: Bronzeville From Chicago, Illinois ssgt rank e-8

7.Smith Royce Worked at The U.S. Army Lives in Baghdad, Iraq profile photo changed 26 June

8.Raymond Royce Worked at Military (US Army) joined facebbook april 2013 In a Relationship with Mary Helen Flores june 28 See Friendship Worked at The U.S. Army Studied at American Military University Past: Kentucky Country Day School Lives in Kabul, Afghanistan From Louisville, Kentucky

9.Royce Rick Worked at The U.S. Army Studied at Army Strong Past: University of California, San Diego This one says on probile Dad from Us and Mum from Germany and that you are a US army recruiter from Tampa recruiting from the Melbourne recruiting station.

10.There is even a profile Rick Royce Lives in Kansas City, Missouri From Saint Joseph, Missouri this dated June 27 not even in uniform?

July 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm
(13) Jemma says:

FOUND THIS INTERESTING, was being emailed by this email coltroyce@gmail.com only talked for two weeks, then did some research of my own and found all these on facebook: Same photos of the same person stationed if Afganistan, Have a look and make sure you don’t get hurt or asked for any money by this scammer, believe they could be in Nigeria.
For surname Royce US Army

1.Royce Brown, Resides Miami, Florida, birthdate aug 8 1970

2.Raymond Royce studied at Started Working at US Army Fort Benning

August 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(14) GoofyGirl says:

I have been talking to a man that claims to be in Afghanistan. His commanding officer, if that is what he is, said I have to pay for the guy to get leave time to come see me. I told the “officer” and the guy both that I have no money and that it sounds like a scam.
I like to believe the best in people but sometimes the scam is not obvious. I made my mind up a long time ago that I would never send money for any reason. The way I see it, if someone, military or not, wants to be with me, they will find a way. If this is a scam, I feel sorry for the guy they are doing this to.
I guess time will tell but I am not sending a penny, just incase.

October 4, 2013 at 10:40 am
(15) jc says:

i been talkin to this guy 2 half months -i just find out last night he a
was talkin to someone else and doin the same thing–any one help out How can i find these fake pictures to see u they really are —he wanted me send him money to get him home for the documents and sign the papers –none of this is not add up He say he from florida but he works in peace keepin in army –on his profile got from Florida,uruguay-lives kabul,afghanistan Something not add up—i even ask Dr Phil for help.-he say his name is Fred Alfred but yahoo got fred.captain will someone help me out

October 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(16) Pearl says:

i was on line and all of sudden a Im pops up from Skpe. He said he was just adding collegues to his Skpe and came across the name Pearl which he has always loved. We Im for awhile on Skpe and then he wanted my email address, I told him I don’t have a yahoo account. I did open a yahoo account out of being curious. He gave me his and we have chated on that account but he does have poor writing skills and he said he Ltgen James barry stationed in Kubal Afgan. I asked if we could vedio skpe and he said no limited time on skpe for personal use it is for press conference. He hasn’t asked for any money, but I am still concerned it is a scam. After 3 days he is calling me honey. Anyone know of someone calling themselves Ltgen james Barry? I have also asked him for a picture and haven’t received one. He does have one picture up on Skpe of a person in military clothing standing by a mil. truck.

October 7, 2013 at 4:34 am
(17) Sandy draper says:

I am now in contact with James Barry

October 7, 2013 at 4:45 am
(18) Sandy draper says:

Hi this is for you pearl I am in contact with James Barry as well he found me on Skype also now on yahoo I have been suspisious of him from the start he has a different photo on Skype he doesn’t know he spoke to me on Skype as it was months ago now he told me he had one son now on yahoo he has 3 lol please contact me

October 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(19) DONNELL says:

Gen.jamesterry120@yahoo.com picked the wrong lady to romance. I happen to be a widow and ex Army wife and Air Force brat. I hate it that he got to me while talking to my daughter in Kuwait. Its the first time I ever answered back to an unkown person . Lesson learned. Just could not figure out security issues and rank all seemed too fishey.

October 17, 2013 at 8:49 am
(20) Shishawnna Lee says:

Beware of a scammer on Facebook named King Richard Benson. He will friend request you and you think it is okay because it shows a soldier in the US Army uniform. He will send you love messages, want to travel with you, love you, marry you etc… And then he will ask for money for motel and internet expenses, want you to write and pay for a leave request and then you hear nothing at all.

December 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm
(21) kasia says:

I am in contact with guy since october 2013
He claims to be US Army General Eric Brown serving in Kabul in Afghanistan,
Parents died, wife died, has no children
How much he loves me this is poety…
I wish he could exist but in 99% I am sure he is a scammer
I am waiting when he ask me about money
He found me on facebook, you can look for his profile is still working
The name on his uniform i different, who’s that man on picture I don’t know I couldn’t find him at scammed pictures
Am not American so I cannot recognize his spelling, grammatical or language errors. I will be careful Thank you ladies for your stories and advices, really helpful

December 28, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(22) Junette says:

Seems like LT General James Barry is a very busy man. I have been talking to him for a few weeks and just recently he asked me to send him money for documents to leave Kabul and come back to the states before being deployed to Syria. He said it had nothing to do with his retirement from the Army….it was because he was attached to the peace keeping mission with the UN. I told him that if he is really Army….there is NO WAY he would need to buy papers!! He says things to placate me and then is offline for a couple of days….out in the field….or on mission. I wish I could find the real LT General James Barry….his fatigues say James so I am assuming his real name is Barry James….if he is out there I would really like to meet him.

January 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm
(23) Tammy Morris says:

I also got messaged by a General supposedly stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan….How do you contact the real person who the scammer is using? He says he needs a beneficiary to claim security boxes., My first red flag is that he has no friends on fb. The picture looks real enough, with a name, however I asked him to send me a picture of his military id card….His reply was “Okay I will but not now because i ordered for a new one because I love mine when I went on patrol last week.” love? left is what he meant.. He is supposed to be intelligent,,, even I correct my typing mistakes that I make….He claims to be General Carl Williams.

January 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm
(24) clasina says:

How can we find out then if they are for real when these no one we can contact to find out if they really are deployed to were they say if we had a phone number we could check on would help? ? Give us that then

January 4, 2014 at 1:12 am
(25) laila says:

I meet someone through online dating in the name of Captain Mark Watson Chandler and send me copy of ID who was deployed in Afghanistan in the name of Captain Sunada,Roger from Sept.til now i am connected with him but i found out it was a scam he used me as a beneficiary for his luggages and paid almost 6,500 USD for complation of documents but til now cannot be delivered coz there is still documents to be paid for around 1,500 USD.he send me the pictures of SMA Raymond F.Chandler 111 and this pictures help me to find out the truth…now the delivery company somewhere in Spain keep on asking me for the last payment…i write a comment here and hoping that anyone can help me what to do or anybody can help me coz i am still connected with them and they didn’t know that i found out everything already…christopher_hull.doorstep@live.com the email of person in charge about the luggages/Doorstep Courrier Company in Spain Europe and sunada_roger011@live.com the melitary man i know and he was saying his still in Afghanistan…

January 8, 2014 at 11:46 am
(26) scammed says:

micheal underwood contacted me facebook 5 days ago. he is in Afghanistan on a peace keeping mission. His wife to be died tragically 5 years ago leaving him with a 10 yr old son.no family except a sister in UK.he wants to marry me. what beautiful love letters he writes. he is ready to relocate once he leaves in 2 – 3 months and we will live happily ever after. he has a yahoo account with IM, instant messaging.
after I received the 3rd love letter, he requested I set up phone service so he could hear my voice. gave me a website to email requesting instructions. within ten minutes my instructions were to send $555 western union to Nigeria to a person whose name I cannot even pronounce. when I expressed my concerns he became very upset cursing in messages saying he did not like for he and his commander to be mis trusted. and o how I hurt him. be careful ladies..if it sounds too good to be true it is.

January 11, 2014 at 10:07 pm
(27) James Terry says:

LT Gen James Terry. Has been romancing me on Face Book. These guys are busy . They talk and romance then break your heart. He has over 8 profiles on FB . And yes promising marriage in two days . Yes girls if sounds too good to be true. Believe me it’s not true. Broken heart. Also every guy who been on Facebook has been a fraud haven’t found a real one yet. SJ

January 12, 2014 at 6:07 am
(28) mora valsoy says:

II meet someone through online dating in the name of LTG Martin G. Terry and was deployed in Afghanistan for V Crops starting end of July, now I’ve not connected with him since 6th of December but i found out it was a scam he used me as a beneficiary for his luggages from Afghanistan via London to Germany and I’ve paid almost 100.000,00 € for the delivery of luggages for exemption of scanning and cross boarder tax for Germany but till now cannot be delivered because there is still documents to be paid for around 16000 € for INSURANCE cargo because it is a cargo that Originated from a war zone !! for Insuring the Cargo there in UK, to protects any tax when the cargo enters in Germany because it is an already Insured. The delivery man hired now a lawyer which cost me again another 8000 € for the exemption of insurance cargo, and they are till waiting for the last payment 16000 € and finally my luggages can be delivery to Germany.I write also a comment here and hoping that anyone can help what to do. I think all person involve are in UK and the email for the person: mmg_terry@hotmail.com, mrmrterry10035@gmail.com, for the delivery man is a UN agent: alfredsimpsonundip@deliveryman.com, alfredsimpsonundip@yahoo.com
for my lawyer . robertwrightllpfinancialattorney@yahoo.co.uk
CargoHeathrowAirport@englandmail.com

January 13, 2014 at 5:15 pm
(29) Kathy says:

I have been befriended by a man on Facebook named Richard Ferrer. He has a picture of him and his baby son. He claims he was widowed when his wife got cancer and gave birth. He claims he is in the Army. In the beginning everything seemed normal. After about 2-3 months of short messaging, we started texting each other on the phone. He started moving to fast in professing his love for me. Next thing I know he is being sent on a mission to Africa. After 3 days he contacts me. He is in a hotel and things are fine. The next day he contacts me and states his credit card is not working and he will be thrown out of the hotel if he can not pay. He wants money. He tells me that he told them his wife would send some(meaning me). When I tell him I can not do that he asks for my bank information or a credit card. I tell him I will not do that. I blocked him on Facebook, but he has tried to call and text me. It always goes to money. He tells me he will pay me back. He tells me that a relationship requires trust and give and take. I am glad that I knew enough not to send money.

January 14, 2014 at 10:52 pm
(30) Mary Ketchum says:

I am a widow and a nurse and this kept attracting them scammers. I have since taken down all my private info. I was not fooled by any of them except one man photos just melted my heart. I wanted to believe he was real and interested in me but I new it was to good to be true. He said he was Master Sgt. Peter Kinnaird stationed in Lybia. He was pretending to be this man. He sent me 4 pictures of himself the name was on his uniform. But I know a real man would not say I love you in 2 days of not even knowing you.

January 21, 2014 at 7:40 pm
(31) jennie says:

Hey Mary, I think the same Sgt Peter Kinnaird found me now just today.

February 5, 2014 at 9:46 pm
(32) reputation help says:

Ӎy spouse annd Ι stumbled overr Һere ԁifferent web address аnd thought
І may аs well check things оut.
ӏ like ѡhat I see sօ і ɑm jus
following yօu. Lߋօk forward tߋ looking at ƴоur web
ρage fοr a ѕecond time.

February 9, 2014 at 8:01 am
(33) Laura Farmer says:

Hi my name is Laura. I was contacted by a Chris Miller who claims to be at Camp Eggers.He says he need money to get back to America and will pay me back. He says he is in love with me. He also says i cant sent him anything as it is a mission he is on. I have recieved emails from a Jason Locks . He is to b a commander over there. Pretty sure this is a scam to. Dont u ? Thanks Laura

February 9, 2014 at 5:27 pm
(34) usmilitary says:

Laura – yes, pretty sure it’s a scam. The military covers the cost of getting their troops back to the United States.

February 13, 2014 at 10:18 am
(35) leigh says:

i was chatting with a guy name captain sunada roger till i decided to google his name and find out this site and i found his email on lailas comment i guess hes a scam i was just sending him email for 2 days now… now i know hes a scammer.. thank you laila for the info… and his email wer sunada_roger0111@live.com seems alike on what lailas comment… hope ladies wont trust this kind of men specially when you meet them on a dating site… so far he didnt ask for money yet.. but i got nothing to offer him glad i found this site….. thank you laila

March 7, 2014 at 6:11 am
(36) youn says:

Hi there,about four days ago a came across a dating site and that same day got an IM from a certain Capt.Sunada Roger(sunada_roger011@live.com) directly he tell me he love me wanted to marry so that her 6 years old daughter will have a mother….he told me hes in Libya on a peace keeping mission….I always have a doubt on men telling the head over hills love for you….I googled his name and cross a headline of obituary of Air Force Capt.Roger Sunada who died December 7, 2000 who fought against cancer……How dare of that scammer to use the names of a highly respected officer…..

March 8, 2014 at 5:22 am
(37) Elena says:

Thanks to this site. I have been chatting with a captain of the American army named Sunada Roger for a week now. He keep on attaching pictures everytime he sent me mails; and yes his email address is sunad_roger0111@live.com. It’s the same story with the others. He said he wants me to be a mother of his 6 year old daughter. Who is that picture that he keeps on sending me? He really looks like the captain of the army with his men. How could the real owner of this photo knows that his picture is being used for scam?

March 10, 2014 at 8:52 am
(38) Mary says:

How about a Sgt. Humphrey Bill Patterson? Claims to be from Texas, served in Afghanistan then was transferred to Nigeria. Supposedly widowed with a 7 year old daughter who is staying with his grandmother in the UK.

March 13, 2014 at 6:09 pm
(39) Lras says:

A LTG would NEVER be bored or lonely while deployed and this LTG James Barry has horrible penmanship. I knew he was a scammer from the start. He attempted to contact me 3 times on Skype, after reading all this – glad my instincts were correct!

March 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm
(40) ann says:

me also i am chatting of sunada roger (sunada_roger0111@live.com) this is his email and until now we communicate each .but i got scary because he told he will send a luggage from my country from libya through the help of european red cross and got scary because i send him my address.now i google his name i found the same story of other women.and thank god as early i found out he is a scammer. and now i relieved and never trust to stranger how good he is especially in a dating site .

March 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm
(41) Raquel Olivo O says:

I made friends through tagged a scammer whose assumed name is Henry Maxwell Lewis, e maxlewishenry@yahoo.com, looking over it I found another profile on tagged, and a denunciation of others, the subject assumes different identities, as Lewis Lenny. I began to suspect him but I wanted to see what happened, he is asking me $ 8000, said to be found in Malaysia qque was damaged a machine, you have to repair it which requires $ 25,000 Malays, but already got $ 17000, called me at night, at dawn, appears to be desperate says I’ll regret not paying that he would pay their league contract in Malaysia and Ecuador come to my country. Already denounced in tagged but I wonder if there is another effective way to report it because I will now give the name queien should direct the sent and the means by which I must. I think that those signals could arrest him well thus help others.

March 19, 2014 at 2:33 pm
(42) Lisa says:

Watch out for a Carl Sergio Wheeler. Claims to be in the Army in Afghanistan. Claiming to be retiring in a few months. He also is in the UK service also. Wants money for a plane ticket home because the service wont help him get back to the states. All family is dead Mom, Dad, Wife and child. the emails he uses is sml.carl1@yahoo.com and sml.carl@yahoo.com. He is combing the date sites. Lucky for me I found this site and he received no money from me.

March 24, 2014 at 9:27 am
(43) devis monte-escaliers says:

You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation
however I in finding this topic to be actually something that I think I’d by no
means understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.
I’m having a look forward for your subsequent submit, I
will attempt to get the hold of it!

March 27, 2014 at 4:01 am
(44) Regena says:

This means you should leave him alone a while to get over his pain.

Sometimes, hurt feelings, anger and frustrations get
in the way of love. When he actually wants to hear from you again, the results of
your exboyfriend contact will be much more favorable.

March 28, 2014 at 8:27 am
(45) Felicia says:

PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR A SGT MICHAEL RONALD. He claims to be a US ARMY soldier on a special forces mission in Syria. I was scammed by him for 9 months before my eyes were opened. He is a sweet talker and knows how to get a woman to fall for him quickly. He got me to the tune of $6000 before I caught on. He uses yahoo messager and email for michaelronald983@yahoo.com. He also used USMILITARYLEAVEBASE@EMERGENCYMAIL.COM to validate his story. I dealt with a few “military” higher ups trying to convince me that my money was needed for leave and processing paperwork. The scam starts off slowly and it wasn’t until I was 3 months in that I started sending money for internet because we had to be connected at all times. He had me so brainwashed that I stopped being myself and only lived for him. At the end when I said no to anymore money because I had no more and lots of overdrawn accounts. He started to prime ME for what I believe was the next step…his death. I was so distraught over it that I actually thought about killing myself. He actually had me believing that I couldn’t live without him. It has only been 4 days since I reported him and started getting my life back. Thanks to the support of my family, friends and romancescams.org. My goal now is to make sure he doesn’t hurt anyone else.

April 12, 2014 at 8:09 am
(46) Marcia says:

Carl Sergio Wheeler has been communicating with me since Feb. 21, 2014. He told me the same story as #42 Lisa. But he said he was in Iraq. He knew that 4 other men had tried to ask me for money so he said he would never ask me for money. Instead he said he found 1 million US dollars and was sending it this week by a diplomat. I received a flight schedule from a Mohammad Muntari yesterday. He was going to deliver the parcel next week on the 14th. This all seemed fishy to me. So I started digging and found this site and Lisa’s letter. Now it’s five frauds! From now on I’m only talking and meeting people in my area.

April 18, 2014 at 1:32 pm
(47) Scorned says:

Watch out for two soldiers that work together. One’s name is Micheal Parr and the other is Scott Ivey. Sweet talk and then the request for monetary help. Did not comply, just used Block List on Facebook. Beware.

April 20, 2014 at 2:49 am
(48) suckerd (almost!) says:

About 3 weeks ago I was sent an email from a woman stating she was a 1st. LT in the US Army, a platoon commander, stationed in Kabul, Afghinistan at Ft. Eggers. Her name was supposed to be Betty Annibelle Madison, 29 years old from Oaklahoma! I was asked to assist in the transfer of 2.7 million dollars taken from a raid on 4/18/14 on a taliban ammunitions warehouse. I was asked early on before the help was asked of me for my address, name, phone number, etc etc. Guys, this person knows how to get a mans attention good. I damn near fell in love! Haha! Anyways (her?) Email address is bettymadison4@outlook.com. she or he found me on a site called mexicancupid.com. watch out, knoes how to talk! The english sucks for an american! And the rank on her uniform was a master seargant. Just thought you all would like to know.

April 23, 2014 at 4:32 pm
(49) Alisia says:

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to
say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!