1. Careers

Rod Powers

2013 Proposed Military Pay Rates

By October 22, 2012

Are you wondering what to expect for your military base pay raise in 2013? Well look no further! President Obama and the U.S. House of Representatives have graciously included a military base pay raise in 2013's budget. Don't get too excited. The "raise" is one of the smallest since 1962!

Proposed Military Base Pay for Commissioned Officers
Proposed Military Base Pay for Warrant Officers
Proposed Military Base Pay for Enlisted Members

Comments
October 30, 2012 at 10:33 am
(1) Tracy Faulkner says:

I am a am a disabled retired Navy man. And I was just wondering how the house and the President can even live with themselves with this type of thing. Are fighting men and women have sacrificed more since 911 that they have since Vietnam and this is how they repay them. Is this 1.6% the result of how much money they are having to put into there million dollar campaigns to make supposably $100,000 a year jobs. Why do they spend millions on campaigning for a job that pays that much. These are the people deciding the pay raises of are military. I guarantee you put them in the sand, in the air, or live on a ship in the gulf for one month and they might finally understand what are military actually does. They must not know now if they pay them like this. And look who has final approval, a man that certainly doesn’t get it since he has never had the privilege of serving his country. If this is his actual country. We still don’t know that after all this time. COME ON MAN!!!!!!!

October 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(2) William J Hollifield CW04 Retired says:

I am a retired army cw04 army warrant officer.
1.How can the lower rank retired men and women live with a 1.6% raise when we have ,state senators.congress men and women living like fat hogs in Washington DC.
2.how can our president fly on the air force 1, ask us to vote for him for another 4 years,and the american people is paying fot his trips all over the USA .
3How can the first lady take all these expensive vacation trips on our dollars?
we need to look out for our military retired a lot of who is homeless and living on the street with no food,
I AM VERT UPSET THAT WHEN OUR MILIYARY MEN AND WOMEN COME BACK HERE TO BE PUT TO REST IN THERE GRAVE THE FLAG IS GIVEN ON BEHAFE OF SOMEONE INSTEAD OF THE PRESIDENT?
i COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE WAY OUR ACTIVE AND RETIRED MILITARY IS BIENG TREATED BY STARTING FROM THE PRESIDENT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST OF ALL PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON THAT ARE THERE TO HELP US INSTEAD OF SENDING US TO THE POOR HOUSE.

October 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm
(3) Wylecia V. Trawick says:

I am a retired SFC Army National Guard soldier, and I would like to know, How can retired men, women and current soldiers live with a 1.6% raise, when our Congress live the life style of kings and queens.

Mr. President we need your help now, for tomorrow might be to late.

I feel no man or woman serving in The U.S. Military should not have to ask for public assistance.

November 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm
(4) Soldier says:

Soldiers should live within their means. For an 18 year old kid coming out of high school to make this money is too much. Senior NCO’s and Officers make more than enough, don’t worry. I get tired of hearing about broke soldiers. Here’s why:
1. They are generally stupid so they throw their money away.
2. They get married and have 5 kids and wonder why they’re broke.
3. They go to Rent-a Center to buy things for the house.
I could probably list more but here are a few that hold true for so many. Then soldiers want to collect WIC… Why should I pay them to have kids when they know they can’t afford them? It’s insanity!

November 13, 2012 at 9:00 am
(5) James Thomas says:

To the “Soldier Says” who left a comment about senior NCO’s and why they are broke, You have know Idea what it means to be a senior NCO. The first thing you need to do is get your facts stright before you shoot your mouth off. A 1.7% raise in military retired pay is shameful considering what the senators and congressmen receive. I was in Vietnam and put my life on the line everyday, but you wouldn’t know anything about that because sit at home an make false claims about things you obviously know nothing about. Your not a “Soldier” in my defination of the word.

November 13, 2012 at 9:01 am
(6) Fred Levey says:

For the soldier who wrote a comment about senior NCO’s…I have a comment for you,

You’re an idiot!!!

November 13, 2012 at 10:37 am
(7) Derek says:

@Soldier Says…You probably are an idiot by making such a stupid statement. You might be correct in one aspect in saying that many Soldiers do not live within their mean, but whose fault is that. You should have done a better job of educating them on ways to handle their finances.
I wouldn’t say that NCOs make more than enough because we dont. Officers on the other hand might make more than need to be making, especially on the lower end of the ranks. I’m a SSG, have been for a while, and there are cherry ass LTs that make more than me, and the majority of them don’t know half the shit that I do. But I guess thats just the way it is right.
1.6% or 1.7% raise, what is that. Its nothing really when you think about it. But we don’t do it for the outstanding pay they give us. Yes we receive multiple other benefits from serving which in my opinion is the fucking least they can do, but lets be real, we sure as shit don’t do this job cause we love the pay. So get over it. However, we might be able to scrape a few more dollars out of these tight asses if we start getting getting rid of all these contractors and start having the military personal filling these job titles. Cause these assholes up there in high places have been getting fat contracting jobs that they are paid way to much to do. I mean lets be realistic, paying a civilian $27 hr to check IDs at a gate, or have some Joes do it. Either way its still getting done, but at a cheaper rate. Oh, and then maybe they can afford to pay us more…

November 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm
(8) bob says:

nuts to that moran

November 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(9) Orrin Grosjean says:

The president and all his political appointees need to thank all Veterans and stop being stupid and arrogant, it only makes look worse. And to no brains spend a little time in a senior NCO shoes and You sound like sit on your a– and get freebies individual. we may have fought for your right to be stupid but keep in your stupid circle of friends if you have any

November 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm
(10) Military Spouse says:

In response to Soldier’s comment: I do agree that soldiers should live within their means, and not abuse the system, just as ever other American should not. I do find it very sad that you put such a generalization on your comments as it makes you look foolish, and uneducated. I only have 2 children, and we struggle day in and day out just trying to make our bills…it is not because we live outside our means, its because in this great state of CA, life is expensive, and we have not been given the raises to keep up with the cost of living. I feel very sorry that this is how you show respect to those who risk or have risked their lives for you. But you know what….YOU ARE WELCOME!!!! You have the right to your freedom of speech (no matter how inaccurate or idiotic it may be) because my husband fights for your right to have that freedom! I will tell him you said THANK YOU!!!!!

November 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(11) Michael Mavin says:

Good thing Mitt Romney is not president or our funds would have been cut at his expense.

November 14, 2012 at 1:31 am
(12) SNCO says:

“soldier” if you are not one, don’t disgrace the name; if you are, I take it as you are referring to yourself.
1. Being too stupid and throwing their money away. Well if you can read the pay chart and realize that most new military members (18yr olds)come in as an E-1 you will notice that they don’t make that much money after you tax it and split it up between the 1st and the 15th. Most military members make more money at their after school job then their full time military job.
2. Getting married and having 5 kids. So military members aren’t allow to fall in love and be married, have a few kids. Nowadays not many have more than two, because we can’t afford it. 5 is a bet of a stretch.
3. Rent-a-center, no we have the BX/PX/ Exchange, that has way better stuff!
Oh and if a military member is on WIC or any other support, they are paying into it too, it’s called taxes from their paycheck.
Some people do abuse the system, but not as many as you think. There are civilians taking money off their food stamps to buy cigarettes and booze thats disgraceful. We do have morals and priorities. And those that are new and barely getting by but wanting to make a difference, I applaud you. Cause I was there too. As a SNCO, I try to live by example, but we have all been in rough times, emergencies, PCS’s across the country that cost more than your reimbursed, broke household items that never get fixed or reimbursed by the moving company. Little things add up and pile up and it can be hard to dig yourself out. So before you judge, put yourself in our shoes. You have NO clue what these military men and women do!

November 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm
(13) Moe- Army wife says:

So much bitchin’. My husband is an E4 and I find this pay to be plenty enough for our expenses, especially considering we get free housing and utilities. That being said, if the Republican-ruled House would approve more, I would be happy to take it! And I’m sure the president would be much happier with the DOD’s budget going toward the troops fighting than the weapon and ship manufacturing that most of it IS paying for (who many, many Republican Congressmen have special interests in).

November 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm
(14) Mil Wife says:

Wow… I mean, yeah. Wow…

While I agree that soldiers should live within their means, there are people out there who are junior enlisted with five (or more) kids, who don’t abuse the system that do just fine.

Our family, for one. We have five kids (and sometimes more, depending on which neighbor sends their kids(s) to our house for dinner/weekend/etc…). His job is our only source of income. We own two cars, pay our bills, etc… and sometimes, yes, there’s a little less money in our account than we’d feel comfortable about, but we DO live within our means.

To generalize that all people complaining that they’re broke is because of x, y, z… is just ignorant. There are dozens of factors that go into money, and everyone has their opinion on who makes too much, too little, etc…

So, please, don’t assume that junior enlisted with five kids are off abusing the system and are always broke, because we’re not.

December 7, 2012 at 3:57 am
(15) alray alson says:

wow. this is great.
like really.

December 17, 2012 at 7:56 am
(16) wooten g. says:

what is the proposed cut for congress and the president? you know we are in this situation together, and should share and share alike.

December 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm
(17) f says:

Military spous – you’re so stupid, bcz noone soldier goes to DEFEND YOUR RIGHT OF FREEDOM!!! The fucking american military put nose to every country and then they “defend” their rights!! I am respect the military people only bcz they suffer with all shit only because of you! – family and that to have a litle more money for live ( benefits..). I can’t stand of stupid zombies who still thin they protect their cuntry or defend freedom. Freedom from what or whom?

January 2, 2013 at 11:29 am
(18) "Forever at Sea" says:

IRT- Those ships you speak of , are one of the many reasons we are where we are today! Back in the old days we assisted in war efforts with gunfire support, any of the older naval men and women can attest to this. We are very much needed in the world of war. Be thankful we are there, becuase when your hunkered down in a hole and can’t advance rest easy knowing there is a ship off the coast waiting for the coordinates. YOUR WELCOME.

Moe- Army wife says:
So much bitchiní. My husband is an E4 and I find this pay to be plenty enough for our expenses, especially considering we get free housing and utilities. That being said, if the Republican-ruled House would approve more, I would be happy to take it! And Iím sure the president would be much happier with the DODís budget going toward the troops fighting than the weapon and ship manufacturing that most of it IS paying for (who many, many Republican Congressmen have special interests in).

March 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm
(19) Anthont says:

I am retired Air Force and I’m forced to work two jobs to stay out of a shelter lets see I get a whole whopping $1300 for retirement pay after nearly 23 years service to an ungrateful nation. Out of that I have to pay my rent which is 875.00 then I have to pay electricity that is 120.00 I have to pay for TV no choice or you don’t watch it 55.00, I have to drive a car don’t live near public transportation so I need gas at $80.00 a week, I need food have to shop at the local store the commissary is 100 miles away lets say $350.00 at today’s prices, oh did I mention I need car insurance and health insurance and renters insurance total bill 242.00 a month so there goes that huge retirement check so who is living outside their means damn shame for someone who had his barracks blown up by terrorist on 25 June 1996 in a long forgotten place called Kobar Towers.