1. Careers

Rod Powers

Military to recognize gay troops this month

By June 17, 2012

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Friday thanked gay and lesbian military members for their service, as the Pentagon prepares to mark June as gay pride month with an official salute,according to an Army Times story.

In a remarkable sign of a cultural change in the U.S. military, Panetta said that with the repeal last year of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law that prohibited gays from serving openly in the military, gays and lesbians can now be proud to be in uniform.

Comments
June 19, 2012 at 10:12 am
(1) chiefjd says:

Thank you Lord for letting me retire in 1985.

June 19, 2012 at 10:35 am
(2) SrA Dave says:

So do I get my own month for being straight? I don’t have a problem with being gay in the military, that is personal business. I do have a problem with the pentagon giving preferential treatment to gay and lesbian service members by honoring them with an official gay pride month. If we are going for equal rights, then treat us all equally. We all wear the uniform, we all follow orders, we all serve our country.

June 19, 2012 at 10:50 am
(3) artymgysgt says:

I am sick and tired of all this gay/lesbian crap that is being pushed on all service people.The only thing that most service people want or expect is a well meant “ThankYou For Your Service.”

June 19, 2012 at 11:56 am
(4) hank hill says:

what a damn pc shame! these folk, witches, and all the other wackadoodles should be “WARFIGHTERS” FIRST AND SAVE ALL THIS OTHER “STUFF” FOR WHEN THEY GET OUT! I DONT CARE WHAT YOU ARE AS LONG AS YOU FIGHT TO WIN!

June 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm
(5) SilentSoldier says:

The reason why there is so much publicity for gay rights in the military is because of the Unequal treatment. June is an awareness month so that people can understand how the government treats its LGB members and perhaps raise support so that we can ALL be equal.

I am a gay soldier and If I get legally married to someone of the same gender in Certain states where it’s legal; then they will not recieve: Basic Allowance for Housing at “with dependent rate”, Medical & Dental Insurance and TRICARE, Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Programs, Relocation & Transportation, Employment and Education for Spouses, Family Separation Allowance and last but not least Surviving Spouse Benefits.

That is all of a same sex Soldier-Civilian unequal treatment. If it were a Soldier-Soldier the list goes on like: Joint Duty Assignments, Free Legal Services, Military Family Housing or even Shopping at Commissaries, PX, BX & NEX.

So just because you can’t see the unequal treatment, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I am tired of people saying they don’t know why we still complain. I work just as hard as you, if not harder and I feel to recieve the above benefits whom I marry shouldn’t have to be someone of the opposite gender.

June 21, 2012 at 9:01 am
(6) Frank says:

Saw it coming years ago with “TQM” Total Quality Management. Sounds fine but after sitting through 8 or 10 of these “classes” I started to see a pattern. The instructors were setting up for this. Teaching that everybody is ok…move your opinion to neutral…touchy feely BS. There was even a class called “Consideration Of Others” or “COO” for short. The military personnel have no freedom of speach…you must keep your mouth shut or basically end your career. This is nothing more than PC pandering. Barry is trying to garner a few votes. Sticking his fingers in places they don’t belong. This will not end well

June 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(7) MCPO JEA says:

There have been very few times during my 34 year career. (now retired) that I have been truly ashamed of being military but this one for sure. In my opinion thi is a play for votes – pure and simple.

June 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(8) Charlotte says:

I’ve never understood the phobia about gays. I grew up as a military brat. Later I joined the military and served with a wide range of people including gays. Never had one problem.

What I did have problems with were heterosexual Men who thought that because I was in the military I couldn’t wait to jump into the sack with them and that I needed them to help me do my job.

Men, gay guys don’t want to convert straight guys…they know more then anyone that you’re born with your sexuality hard coded into you. So why get freaked about something that people are born with? It’s as silly as deciding that all blondes are stupid or all blacks are inferior.

Grow up. Jesus didn’t have a problem with gays so why should you? It’s time for everyone to have Equal rights. No one is asking you to become gay or to cozy up to them. what you’re being asked to do is act like a professional. To treat everyone with courtesy. To act like a nice person. If you can’t say something nice then keep your mouth shut. My Dad was a career soldier and served with many gays. He said on the battlefield that gay soldiers did their job the same way straight soldiers did there jobs. Once we all begin to act like adults the world will be a better place for everyone.

June 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm
(9) Charlotte says:

To the guy who asked “So do I get my own month for being straight?” Sweetie everyday is straight day. Eventually there won’t be a need for such things. Once everyone grows up and stops worrying about what people do in the sack we won’t need such “holidays”. I’m a female veteran and could care less if they declare a special holiday for service women. I’m just proud that I served my country and got to serve with some really outstanding soldiers. Both straight and gay.

July 10, 2012 at 12:53 am
(10) George says:

I can see a lot of Little Johnny jokes coming.

July 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm
(11) Retired Lesbian says:

@ MCPO JEA what you should be ashamed of it the fact that you just made that statement.

Gay and Lesibians have been serving forever we just had to serve in silence.

It is ashame that if they Navy would of known I was a lesibian I am sure I would of NOT made Sailor of the Year! So even though I was a great sailor I am a lesbian and should have been kicked out of the Navy for that!

NOW THAT IS A SHAME!