1. Careers

Rod Powers

Army Changing Appearance Rules

By April 15, 2012

Senior leaders are putting the final touches on 17 grooming regulation changes that cover everything from tattoos and makeup to cellphones and civilian attire, according to an Army Times report. And soldiers will likely face punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice if they fail to get squared away.
Comments
April 17, 2012 at 8:24 am
(1) Sarge Strike says:

The military is really cracking down on these things and has been for quite some time.

April 17, 2012 at 9:14 am
(2) Migbuster says:

Think one will be seeing alot of Arts. 15 comming down the road.. Bout time they crack down.. But the shaving bit while on vacation,,well .

April 17, 2012 at 9:34 am
(3) SFC B says:

The regulations have always been there and I’ve seen some people get away with lots of crazy stuff. I don’t think that will change. The Supervisors now days have no balls. I say take away their pay, they’ll learn fast enough.

April 17, 2012 at 10:37 am
(4) William D. De Nomie says:

For a moment, I thought I was reading about the Dutch Army, man it looks like things really changed since my enlistment 1966-1970 in the US Army.
I know it was over 40 years ago, but I really don’t remember seeing tattoos, all over a GIs body, long hair it was one way “short” and we were always clean shaven.
Doesn’t the Army have morning inspections anymore? my question is why was this going on for so long? And what’s this thing about a GI putting nail polish on his finger nails….what the, and walk in the rain carrying an umbrella, hell I just walked in the rain and learned to dodge rain drops and you know double time that means run.
I remember from day one what’s that old saying, “Your in the Army now” don’t get me wrong had a tour in Germany, Volunteered for Vietnam to get out of that armpit, served two tours in Vietnam, made Sergeant, and got the hel out…

April 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(5) CWO George Krisko says:

I retired in 1974 and over the years have increasingly become disappointed in the changes MY army has made since then, from allowing berets for EVERYONE to keeping the specialist (Spec-4) rank.-

April 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(6) michal says:

No gold teeth? WTF? gold is still the best dental restoration always has been always will be.

April 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm
(7) Nick 1ID says:

I am currently in the Army. I am stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. I welcome these new changes. Even though you must keep a military appearance, which i agree, the soldier if vacationing away from base, like the beach, i think should be allowed to relax and enjoy his time away. It’s only shaving and heck, if you really have an issue go get a profile. It seems everyone wants a profile for anything so they see us medics and are like profile me doc. I, myself, am like go suck it up and drive on.
One thing I would love to see is no mixing and matching Pt UNIFORMS with civilian clothing. Either wear the complete uniform or do not. It’s freaking that simple.
Now my problem is the army is relys on article 15s and counselings way to much. What happen to the, you get in trouble, you work your way out of trouble. A little corrective pt or some weekend work would change a lot. Now a days My higher is like, do this and get an article 15. Your money will be taken away. Ummm, isn’t money a cushion when the army provides for free 3 hots and a cot to single soldiers. Plus free health care, free personnel trainers and a helps you understand who you are, specially after the first real boom happens overseas. Now for Soldiers for family, i can see the article 15 / pay taken as an enforcement cause you, know you have a family you need to provide for.
I could go on, but overall i welcome these changes and wish the army would put the bite back into the rule enforcement

April 18, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(8) David says:

While the Army is finally cleaning itself up, maybe they should get away from those gawd awful blue dress uniforms and berets and go back to the traditional Army green uniforms, saucer caps and overseas caps. Soldiers need to LOOK like soldiers and not like busboys. The Army also needs to be less sissified and a bit more strict (demanding) such as it was in the mid-60s. Discipline needs to be restored and maybe a little bit of fear. The rank structure needs a return to some degree to the old caste system, to stop the fraternization, disrespect and circumvention of NCO authority. Just my thoughts.

May 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm
(9) John Jones says:

When I served in the Royal Air Force we had 2 uniforms. No1(Best) Uniform and No2 (Working) Uniform. You made sure that they were clean and pressed along with your footwear nice and shiney. Also that your hear was regulation length. Of course we always tried to gey away with long hair.

May 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm
(10) Rudolph Wratten says:

I entered the US national guard in Texas and hated it and left.
After getting assigned to the California national guard I loved it!
I was a radio operator and can speak Arabic German and Spanish but made no real effort whatsoever while in Texas, I did what my MOS required and nothing more.
While in California I excelled! translating material nearly every night, and I was ARNG.
When I was asked to return to Texas I was very reluctant, until I was given the option of transferring to the Navy.
Yes, you can maintain that fighting man mentality, and have a military that does what it is told.
Or you can have an exceptional force that will go above and beyond the call of duty.
I went on to non uniformed service and can wear whatever I prefer within reason.
But if you think about this for a moment it will be clear.
Why would you want an intel officer to conform to a military dress code to begin with?
remember that our primary job is to fit in with the civil population and do our thing.
Once you think about that, ask yourself how far this can be extended without violating protocol.
Remember that in an actual battle, no D&C, just a fight to win.