1. Careers

A provision of the 2009 Defense Authorization Act changes federal law to allow U.S. veterans and military personnel not in uniform to render the military hand-salute when the national anthem is played. The new law took effect on October 14 (2008). This change adds to a provision which was passed in the 2008 Defense Bill, which authorized veterans and military personnel in civilian close to render the military salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.
Comments
July 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm
(1) Chris says:

Amost right after this the Navy sent a message saying that this does not apply Navy personell

July 21, 2009 at 9:40 am
(2) Talent says:

Hi, not being picky but shouldn’t that be ‘civilian clothes’ not ‘civilian close’. I know they sound similar under dictation.

September 12, 2011 at 11:01 am
(3) Wilco says:

Ah, the beauty of spell check. We trust the computer to proof our typing, and this happens. I’ve scene worse.

July 21, 2009 at 9:44 am
(4) Talent says:

Errrr…. how does a military type person stop a civilian in civilian clothes saluting, dancing a jig or doing a handstand (difficult for this vet these days!!) I’d like to know??

July 21, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(5) The Sarge says:

Why limit the hand salute, while in civilian attire, to specific events such as the presenting of Colors and Retreat…what happened to pride and personal freedoms? While on a walk, I came upon a small monument depicting the fallen Soldier to whom the park was dedicated. Reading the script detailing his final act of bravery, I was moved to come to attention and render a salute. Does one require an act of Congress in order to display this token act of respect. Surely our elected body of law makers has better things to tend to than “allowing” has-been retirees to display patriotism.

August 27, 2009 at 6:29 pm
(6) David says:

I recently attended a funeral service. The military detail was led by an E-7. Preparing for the playing of Taps he gave instructions for civilians to place the right hand over the heart and for those in uniform, also military not in uniform and veterans to render the hand salute. I appreciated seeing how many people had served and saluted.