1. Careers

Rod Powers

No Retiree Raise This Year

By June 8, 2009

The Congressional Budget Office has predicted that there will be no cost of living (COLA) raise for military retirees, disabled veterans, or social security recipients at the end of this year. In a June 2 statement, the CBO predicted that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) will actually decrease this year by 0.7 percent. Military retired pay, veteran disability compensation, and social security benefit COLA raises are based on the annual CPI, and because the CPI will decrease this year, there will be no raise.
Comments
June 9, 2009 at 11:09 am
(1) Larry Hollis says:

What is going on with congress ? They can hand out Billions of dollars so some buddy’s can go party at our expense. I bet they don’t do without. They just handed out all that money and I bet they can not account for a big part of it and how it is being used. I think and feel that the people on military retire pay and those on social security should be able to get a cost of living. They have worked for it. Stop some of the money going to people who set on their rear-ends and have not paid into to the program. In my 23 years in the Navy I was held accountable for eveything I was in charge of or had anything to do with. I think the congress should be held accountable along with the so called CEO’s or Buddies. If they want to control, then control the cost of gas and food prices, show us what they can “DO” and what they are getting paid to do. If they do not like what I have said then maybe that person has an issue. Talk is cheap, but actions or the ones that count. Don’t tell us about your talk, tell us about the actions you made happen.

June 9, 2009 at 11:39 am
(2) John Sloan says:

Incenitive check repayment.

June 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm
(3) Larry is a moron says:

Shut up Larry, you aren’t doing without. The article cleary states why pay isn’t going up.

June 9, 2009 at 9:33 pm
(4) Mark Goldstein says:

I think this just sucks. How much of a raise will Congress give itself. Regardless of the CPI our purchasing power is less, what with the cost of gas still going up and the cost of food up. We get disrespected once again so all the good ole boys can get theirs.

June 10, 2009 at 12:29 am
(5) Larry says:

To the NO. 3 person who wrote about me as a moron. I will not lower myself to your level. I don’t want to get dirt on me. It appears that you beleive everything they tell you. Just look around and listen to what is going on. You must not have to buy anything in the store or buy gas. As I write this gas prices are slowly going up again. you must not have retired from the military or able to get your social secruity. If you are drawing one or both then you must notice the money buys very little. I forgot one other area going up in case you don’t pay electric/natural gas/water etc. Hope you the best waking up. Have a good day !

June 10, 2009 at 6:19 am
(6) Jerry says:

I am Navy retired living in Spain. To see the value of the $ look at international exchange rates. I agree with Larry. Congress looks after itself. What’s next – tax on veterans’ disability benefits???

June 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm
(7) Larry = Huge Moron says:

There are people out there who have it a lot worse than you do, maybe you should think about them instead of yourself.

June 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm
(8) Larry says:

Reply to # 7. I am thinking about all the Vet’s who earned the bennies. Which from reading what you are saying you have not earned anything and want a free ride. You must not like your name to be known, unless it is moron. I am not going to reply anymore to your stupid statements. When you figure out what is going on and earn your bennies talk to me. The most of us want to deal with the problem and not you. So I am picking myself back up from your level, which seems to be very low at this time. Take a few minutes and read what you have said. I still think we need to do something with the congress as the vet’s are losing. I am not saying anything about hurting any of them, just make them do their jobs and stop kissing up to some people…..Hope you have a better day as you need one. In order to do that go see a recruiter and do 20 years or more and I will be happy to talk to you……..

June 10, 2009 at 10:19 pm
(9) Too scared to show my name says:

I won’t be seeing a recruiter ever again, I saw one a few years ago and did my time. What about anything I’ve said shows that I want a free ride? For you to be “above my level” you sure have done a lot of insulting. I’m not the one complaining about not getting a pay raise, I think it’s clear who wants to free ride. And when you talk about “us vet’s” you’re including me.

June 11, 2009 at 9:42 am
(10) Larry says:

To those who are reading this. My statements are directed to only one person and about congress not doing their jobs. There are a few in congress that try but are messed over by Nancy P. and her follower Reid. Going to stop on that. I guess some those in congress forget how many of the Vets vote. Have a Good Day !

June 11, 2009 at 11:51 pm
(11) The Sarge says:

No one will ever admit to being satisfied with their income, be it from earned wages/salary or retirement. One can assign blame, for not receiving what one considers their fair share, to everyone from Congress to Santa Clause, but the reality is “there it is, folks”! I am willing to bet that no one’s birth certificate, certainly not mine, has a clause “WELCOME TO THE ROSE GARDEN” printed thereon. Therefore, I strongly recommend a cease fire on the griping…and move along.

Sarge

June 19, 2009 at 1:49 pm
(12) John C says:

Well, as someone who receives both military retired pay and VA disability, I can understand that a zero percent raise can be hard to take. However, having understood how the raises are calculated (based on CPI-W) rates for Jul, Aug, and Sep compared to the same months the previous year), I see a zero percent raise as only fair based on the large 5.8% raise we just got. The formula’s rules have not changed to screw us over, it’s just that sometimes we get the better end of the deal (getting 5.8% in Jan even though the CPI-W rates had fallen to 2007 levels by Dec), and sometimes we don’t (like getting zero percent this next Jan). Our 5.8% raise was more than the previous two years combined. It all eventually balances out.

June 25, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(13) The Sarge says:

Too scared…(9): When it comes down to going after what you are due, in terms of benefits, pay, etc, no one, repeat, NO ONE, is “above your level”. I take it you have ETSed/left the Service; if your concerns are now centered on post-ETS benefits, that is, GI Bill, etc, this is not a “free ride”, it is an earned entitlement. Let no one tell you otherwise, you earned it.

I’ve heard so many stories about the “brick walls” vets encounter when dealing with the VA on these issues; that’s, for lack of more-civilized verbiage, a shame. When I applied for the same bennies back in RVN days, the VA was more of a “customer-oriented” business. So much for sea stories…go after what’s yours, be persistent, and always remember…NO ONE’S ABOVE YOU!

Sarge

August 17, 2009 at 12:26 pm
(14) 22 Year Military Wife says:

I am shocked to hear that congress is not going to give a COLA raise to those receiving those stated benefits. I do understand that their they use the same formula every year, and yes, we did get a very nice pay raise last year . . . no disagreement there. My husband served 22 years, he gets VA compensation, along with his retiree pay, but let me say something to anyone who thinks these men didn’t earn it, listen closely! I watch my husband suffer EVERY DAY! Not a single day goes by that I don’t see the strain of the constant and unforgiving pain that he suffers, I would never put his personal medical issues out here, but I will say it is service connected and when the day comes he can not walk any more I would appreciate it if anyone who has never been in his position would refrain from slandering those veterans who HAVE suffered injury and will never get to live one day without this constant reminder! I know without an ounce of doubt in me, that my husband would be happy to trade in that VA compensation for a new PAIN-FREE body. Let me get back on track here, as far as the pay raise goes, I understand they use a formula and we will all get by, as we always do . . . however, with so many jobs being lost, so many homes in foreclosure, the price of gas creeping back up, etc. I am not sure I understand that. Anyway, thank you to all of you military retirees and those of you who have given the best part of yourself to our country, because that is what you felt was your calling, there are many of us out here who truly appreciate you.

September 5, 2009 at 11:27 pm
(15) folsom says:

to 22 year military wife:

women serve in the military now too! it is more appropriate to say servicemen and women.

October 3, 2009 at 10:14 pm
(16) Jimmy Tanner says:

Since our annual cost of living adjustments are reduced each year by half a percent, and this year’s CPI is determined as zero, then this would be a good year to make up some of the previous years where the values of our earned retirements dollars have been reduced. Especially since the government has been recently giving out billions and billions to GM and Chryseler, banks and other fincial institutions, and insurance companies to just watch them fail.

You’ll need every penny you can get once you are kicked out of military BA health care (another earned benefit lost) and placed in OBAMACARE. Plus, it looks like the new health care tax to pay for OC is right at 14% (tax on your gross, not net).

Wake folks, quite fighting amongst ourselves. We ain’t the enemy.

An Old Retired Chief Master Sergeant

October 24, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(17) Proud to Serve! says:

As a retiree about to receive Social Security in 2010, I find it sad how “they” tweak the system. I can remember when our retirement pay and raises were linked to active duty pay and raises. So if the economy has stagnated, why are our sailors, soldiers air corps personnel getting a raise? Morale? Catch up? As a Regular one never is totally retired and can be called back to active duty!

October 28, 2009 at 9:09 pm
(18) Robert A Mitchell says:

I do not understand how the cost of living is negative which to me means I should have more left out of my pay checks which is the contrary everything is going up in prices. Credit card Companies are raising their interest rates stating the economy but yet the prime lending rate is at all time lows, which raises another question how can they get away with this. And just one more question and all this money that was given to the banks to help with morages but why are these same banks who are getting the money using it to buy up other smaller banks and if the government had any brains they would see that it is harder now to get refianced at the lower interest rates because the homes values have dropped to the point where it has eaten up any equity one may have so where has the government helped. I am sorry I would like to know how is it the banks are having so much trouble but yet you hear nothing negative about the credit unions RED FLAG

November 13, 2009 at 11:51 am
(19) Gloria says:

It is true that our money doesn’t go as far as it use to. Why don’t the people in Washington tant say we don’t need a raise try living on what we have to live on? They could not do it as it is impossible for us to live on it.

November 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(20) Gloria says:

Thank you Robert. Very well put. With everything gone up except retiree benefits, how are we supposed to live. It takes 1/23 of my check now to pay my electric and then there are the other living expenses that add up. So how are we supposed to live on less than 700 dollars a month? I would like to see congress live on that. That probably wouldn’t even pay their electric for one month. We need to start a drive to correct this. If they don’t want to give us a raise they should have a flat minimum for each retiree. Say a thousand dollars a month bottom line. Or something?

December 1, 2009 at 2:49 pm
(21) Retired GySgt USMC says:

Its beyond me why no retired pay raise this year. Just got a letter from the water company rates are going up. Got another from PP&L rates are going up. Maybe if I got notice something was going down I would understand

December 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm
(22) Teresa Geraci says:

What is happening with the paise raise is wrong. If retirees don’t get it, active duty should not either. I was active duty for 20 years. It gets really old being treated as if my service to country is not as important as someone who is serving now.

December 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm
(23) DAVID says:

bottom line, the govt just screwed both the veterans as well as social security, i say load all in a jet, fly them into a nountainside in afgan, and start over

December 22, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(24) Harry says:

I think they all should be tried for treason

January 4, 2010 at 9:26 am
(25) Tracy says:

I want to know why my husband’s retiree pay went DOWN!!! why is that? does anyone know??

September 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm