1. Careers

Rod Powers

Joining the Air Force is Going to Remain Hard

By October 15, 2007

The good news is that the Air Force is planning to take in almost 1,000 more new recruits in Fiscal Year 2008 than they did in Fiscal Year 2007 (28,700 vs. 27,801). The bad news is that on the first day of the new fiscal year (Oct 1), the Air Force had already signed up 35 percent of their requirements for the entire new fiscal year, according to an Air Force News Service article.

Unlike the Army and Marine Corps, which are increasing in size each year until 2013, the Air Force continues a multi-year downsizing. This means that those wishing to join the Air Force during this fiscal year can expect another year of high enlistment standards, limited job choices, and long waits in the Delayed Enlistment Program.

Comments
October 16, 2007 at 11:39 pm
(1) Airman Castillo says:

and for good reason!
the air force is known for being the best of the best and frankly, if it weren’t as hard is it was for me to get in, it wouldn’t be worth it.
hell yes they’re selective, hell yes they dq people for the simplest of reasons.
its that selectiveness and high standards that cause my elation and sense of accomplishment of just getting in.

October 19, 2007 at 1:19 am
(2) Warrant says:

As much as they like to hype their higher standards the airforce conforms to the same DOD standards as the other four services they just aren’t issuing simple wavers right now because the DOD has determined that while the army is worth having a million people in it the Air Force really only does a third the work and as such only needs a third the people most of which are designated to transporting the army from place to place.

October 19, 2007 at 9:24 am
(3) Staff Sergeant says:

I love the Air Force, but with the down sizing due to new planes and equipment (not that we do a third of the work) it makes for more deployments; especially with all the support we’re giving the Army.

October 19, 2007 at 4:52 pm
(4) SSgt says:

Im an Air Force Recruiter and love the fact that the Air force is hard to get into-
Yes, my job would be easier if our standards were any less, however, they’re not and the reward of watching the quality of people we’re putting in is something special!!!

October 19, 2007 at 6:56 pm
(5) Patel says:

I love the Air Force and the fact that the USAF is hard to get into and has strict requirements makes me even prouder to be a new member of the USAF!

October 22, 2007 at 6:46 pm
(6) Samie says:

My son, now 17 and a senior in high school, has recently joined the Air Force. His ship date will be 9-9-08. He signed up for 6yrs and already has a guaranteed Air Traffic Control position.

March 26, 2011 at 4:36 am
(7) Chris says:

Hope he doesn’t lose it and blow his brains out. I heard Air Traffic Control is among the most strenuous jobs out there, and has the highest suicide rate.

October 26, 2007 at 4:24 pm
(8) TSGT says:

I think having harder standards are important in getting into the Air Force. Whats ironic is how once you’re in, those standards go out the door. Overweight Airmen, females who cannot keep their hair from touching the collar and all over the place, and most of all—-career progression for the enlisted Airman is horrible.

Enjoy them standards!

October 29, 2007 at 1:56 pm
(9) CLC says:

I wish NOW I would have gone Air Force years before I joined the Army. I am GLAD the Air Force has tight enlistment standards because if the Army had the same, I would have served with less dirtbags and undesirable citizens-turned-military. Wonder if I can get a change-of-service signed and hop on over the Air Force reserve?

November 1, 2007 at 6:04 pm
(10) Daniel says:

What is the curent wait time for DEP? and What are the jobs that the USAF needs for this fiscal year?

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers.

December 13, 2007 at 9:58 am
(11) MATT says:

Ive been in DEP since Oct. 13th and im finally shipping out on jan. 1st ive been to meps and goten everything taken care of. DEP can be really any kind of time limit depending on the job, and if you have any skeletons in the closet.

December 25, 2007 at 7:52 am
(12) Maxwell says:

Im 25,have an expunged felony(vandalsim) & 1 misdemeanor (theft) on my record & no major tickets but would still very much like to serve in the air force doing anything the AF family will allow me too. An air force buddy of mine thinks I can actuallly get in,to some of te recruiters & everyone else do you I think I could acutually make it in?

January 23, 2008 at 11:17 am
(13) Erika says:

Maxwell, I think you would have to score really high on the entrance test. I know you can’t get in with a phelony, but perhaps since it has been expunged? Your best bet is to just go and talk to a recruiter.
Anyway, I joined the Air Force in friggin’ November and I don’t leave ’til April. Late April!

October 20, 2008 at 3:43 am
(14) smilie says:

From what I have seen of airforce personnel they lack discipline, structure, and physical fitness. I have also heard them complaining about their 4-6 month deployments. When every other branch of the military is doing 7-12 month deployments in real combat zones.

February 17, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(15) Jesse Hamric says:

To the last comment about the Air Force not doing REAL deployments, let me tell you something.

I’m in the 824th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron and we deploy outside the wire and damn well our boys see combat. They hit an IED just the other day and took small arms fire, it’s lucky there were no casualties.

Look up A1C Chavis if you don’t believe that we have real combat situations and our lives are really on the line when deployed.

April 28, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(16) Vernadine says:

Not serving any branch at this time; but think that it is rude to question the dedication, hard work any man or woman (life) who serve our country. Please keep it clean.

May 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm
(17) The Sarge says:

Warrant, don’t sell yourself, and the Air Force, short…viewed from the glass-half-full perspective, it might be said that the AF mission requires only one airman, whereas the Army mission needs three troops, one to supervise, one to do the paperwork, and one to operate the shovel…Wheels up, Warrant!

Sarge

July 27, 2009 at 3:06 am
(18) Me says:

WHY were we born.
To do WHAT

September 11, 2011 at 9:39 am
(19) brandon says:

We were born to love Jesus Christ and to spread the gospel.

October 14, 2009 at 11:22 pm
(20) Ozzy says:

The AF is actually not any harder to get into than any of the other branches. The only reason why the AF is able to DQ so quickly and easily for very little things is because the general public finds it so appealing to wear a uniform and call themselves servicemen/women wearing the cammies that belong to the branch of service that is the weakest and less demanding of all in the DoD. The youth of America doesn’t wanted hard. So If they can join a branch that can give them all the perks, plus an easier way to get it, why not get in line with all those that are waiting for the cake walk. This is a fact, not an opinion.

December 20, 2011 at 2:12 am
(21) lucas says:

The Air Force has higher standards for good reason. Our airmen are warriors. Anyone who puts on the nations uniform and serves their country should be looked at in equal regard. Being in the Air Force doesn’t make you better than anyone in another branch. Being in another branch doesn’t make you “tougher” than being in the Air Force. Airmen are highly trained to perform in all theatres. Just remember when a navy seal, marine recon, green buret, etc, need to dial 911 it isn’t an ambulance that comes for them. It is an airman in the world’s greatest air force. God bless you all.

December 20, 2011 at 2:57 am
(22) lucas says:

No matter what branch you join just remember we all have discipline and we all get paid the same based off of our rank. With that being said you want to think about the long haul. Are you joining for four years or to retire after 20. Air Force has high retention for a reason. Not because they lack discipline or are weak, but because they love their jobs. That’s where it’s at. I’m in the Air Force because people from the army, navy, and marines told me to go that route.