1. Careers

Almost everyday, someone sends me an e-mail, or posts a question on our message board concerning security clearances in the military. What is a security clearance? What do they look at? What can keep me from getting a security clearance? How far back to they investigate? How long is a security clearance valid?
Comments
January 1, 2007 at 3:58 pm
(1) Albanaich says:

This all seems very similar to the UK process.

Is it the same across Nato?

Does clearance in one country imply clearance in another – even in the UK we have ‘UK eyes only’

Albanaich

January 2, 2007 at 7:07 am
(2) ibrahim ibrahim a says:

hello am green card holder permenent u.s resident, currently working as linguist with u.s airforce 732/7th in iraq-baghdad.victory camp. am i elligble to join D,E,A ? i speak,read.write english,arabic(4arabic dailects) somali languages. i am 23 years old and have 2years diploma socail works.

February 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(3) Martin says:

you can get it

January 2, 2007 at 10:39 am
(4) russ says:

I believe that there are many different compontents into getting a security clearance. There are many agencies that investigate, adjudicate, or deny a person a security clearance.
If i am correct, you many have a security clearance granted from an enity or government, but you would not neccessaryly have the “need to know” what entails in areas that you are not required to be in, or look at. this is one of many different aspects concerning a clearance. I belive that the opm, and dss agencies are good places to start;when looking at data.

January 2, 2007 at 10:45 am
(5) Bill O'Neil says:

Can anyone point to a web site(s) that will provide copies of investigative reports, both DoD and CIA?

Thanks

January 8, 2007 at 11:36 am
(6) lance says:

Bill the actual security clearance in the past was in a hard copy form. However, those reports no longer exist, the actual investigative report on a person is confidential and not public in any way whatsoever, once cleared they are fed into a system called JPAS. All security information flows through that, only an authorized security officer can access that database.

Once you fill out your security request (EPSQ) and submit it through your security officer or equivalent to DSS or DISCO. The investigation period can last from 3 months to 3 years depending on the clearance and the que. This questionaire is not for the faint of heart!

Check this website. http://www.dss.mil/epsq/index.htm
You can contact them to get information on how contractors can get access through the Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO).

March 3, 2007 at 10:36 pm
(7) Norma Vargus says:

I am an MI Officer who held a TS, had it downgraded to a S as I was not in an MI billet (incorrect), and waiting over a year, hindering my ability to effectively perform my duties. I have one of the easiest clearances to process (e.g., one major job in the past 30 years)

August 13, 2008 at 1:25 pm
(8) michael says:

how do i get a copy of my military security clearande

April 7, 2009 at 3:15 am
(9) wila says:

can you be a green card holder and get a DoD security clearance?

April 7, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(10) usmilitary says:

>>can you be a green card holder and get a DoD security clearance? <<

Nope. You must be a US Citizen to get a DOD security clearance, and/or to get a DOD job, or military job that requires a security clearance.