1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

A case in which several sailors face charges for arranging sham marriages to foreign women to boost their military housing allowances sends an important message to all servicemembers:

"You're putting in a claim for money that you are not entitled to, and that is a crime. And if you commit a crime, you can expect to be held accountable for it."
April 24, 2006 at 9:13 pm
(1) Adam says:

Then fix the “real” problem at hand. Give everyone BAH instead of those that happen to be married. The biggest load of crap is that members of the military get “bonuses” simply for being married and that it. ANYONE can get married…

April 24, 2006 at 11:34 pm
(2) usmilitary says:

BAH isn’t just paid to those who are married. It’s paid to anyone who is authorized to live off base at government expense.

On many bases, single (non-married) folks in the rank of E-4 or E-5 or above are allowed to move off-base at government expense (depending on the current occupancy rate of single government quarters).

There are also many married military members who live on-base in family quarters, who do not receive BAH (because they live in government housing).

The “real problem” (IMO) is that these individuals broke the law by claiming pay they were not entitled to.

April 25, 2006 at 12:41 am
(3) Scott says:

I think having a such a strong incentive to be married in place is unfair to people who are happily unmarried. With a system in place like they have now, they’re just asking people to cheat. I’m curious how common this is, and what it costs the military each year.

April 26, 2006 at 11:52 am
(4) Ed Franchuk says:

What about the Mexicans and Blacks? Welfare frad runbs dep and seldom any interst in doing anything about it!
Lets level the playing field.

BAH Fraud is No Joke
A case in which several sailors face charges for arranging sham marriages to foreign women to boost their military housing allowances sends an important message to all servicemembers:

“You’re putting in a claim for money that you are not entitled to, and that is a crime. And if you commit a crime, you can expect to be held accountable for it.”

May 4, 2006 at 12:48 pm
(5) Nicole says:

the real problem is that these people recieved money that is in no form intitled to them, bah with dependent is used to support their dependent.. therefore it’s not a bonus- it’s spouse support.. if you need more info you can contact your local psd….

December 31, 2006 at 3:30 am
(6) Daniel says:

This is sad that people in the military have to do this… why don’t the navy set up a way that the servicemember can allot the money to the dependent and if it stops than the BAH will be stopped… but what happens to the service members who have trouble getting BAH for members living in high costing areas its not fair. There are some people who just get in a situation and they find themselves getting married to a non-citizen… then what happens?

November 18, 2008 at 11:53 pm
(7) Herb says:

I don’t have a comment. I have a question. Who do I report BAH fraud to (for the Army). I know some enlisted personnel that are commiting fraud at this very minute……

November 22, 2008 at 7:20 pm
(8) usmilitary says:

Hi Herb,

You can report Army BAH fraud to the Army CID (Criminal Investigative Agency), using their website at: http://www.cid.army.mil/reportacrime.html.

Keep in mind that, just because you think it may be BAH “fraud” doesn’t make it so. If they are authorized by their command to live off base at government expense, in most cases, they are then entitled to BAH for the area where they are stationed. This is true, even if they all live together in one huge hut off base. If someone is authorized to live off base, they could even live in their car, and legally receive BAH, if they chose to.

In other words, make sure you know what you are talking about when it comes to what constitutes “fraud,” (legally) before you report it.

December 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm
(9) Leah says:

My husband who serves in the navy and I are still legally married but have not lived with each other for 4 years nor has he supported me financially for this time period and is still continuing to receive full BAH and other benefits despite the fact that I asked him for a divorce due to him cheating and having a child with a co-worker. I left with nothing and am currently unemployed and cannot afford a divorce lawyer. Knowing this he has closed our joint account and cancelled my cell phone contract and has ceased paying all bills because the JAG, Naval Legal and civilian lawyers will not assist me at all. What to do in my situation?

December 14, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(10) AF2009 says:

Leah, you should call his commander or whoever his “boss” is. The military is quite good about supporting spouses who are going through something like this, especially when there is adultery involved and the enrolled husband is at fault. If there is a DNA test to prove he is the father of that child, that would be evidence enough and they may be able to give you back pay for 4 years worth. Hope that helps!!

January 3, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(11) Jon says:

What about Soldiers who get married because they really care about that person and want to build a life together just to have some douche-bag NCO (ironically of questionable integrity himself) run to CID screaming fraud and raise hell in the Soldier’s personal life and unit?? I think there should be a means of recourse for pain and suffering…

January 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(12) Kendra says:

I believe my husband married me to collect Bah money.He signed up for the army right after we married without my knowlege and few weeks later went for basic training.We met online…he is Arabic .He could not find a job and he told me this was his only option .I waited for him…he came home and two weeks later got deployed.He sends me half of the money the army pays for housing and keeps the rest.I wonder according to the law is he reqiured to send all the money they pay for housing?I discoverd that he has lots of profiles on diffrent websites where he says he is divorced and is looking to meet women.I feel scammed.I believe he will only come back to divorce me when he returns from Iraq.

February 10, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(13) Thea says:

BAH with dependents is given so you and your husband can have a household together. BAH single rate is a couple hundred less a month and is what an eligible, single service member rates. He should at least be giving you the DIFFERENCE between the two rates. (Well, he should be trying to have a household with you) I’m pretty sure he married you for money, but he’s at least giving you a more than fair portion.

February 25, 2010 at 10:41 am
(14) Marie says:

I have a child with an active Navy man and he is still married. What procedures to I need to take in order for him to be responsible for the child we have together. The child is 2 now.

July 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm
(15) shine says:

bha fraud can place a hardship on dependents that are in need. I think bha should not be handled by military members or dependents.I think military reps should handle all bha funding ,and bah should be up for inspection every month.

September 18, 2010 at 7:05 am
(16) Ted says:

Do me a favor and live on a ship for 4 years and determine if extra money to live in an appartment is worth it or not.

September 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm
(17) Randy says:

The best thing to do if you have a military spouse who is not paying up on their end is to contact their Commander. Even if they are deployed — get in contact with ANY commander or First Sergeant on base and I’m sure they will help you out.

Keep in mind, you’ll have to be able to prove it. DNA tests, etc for kids — certificates for marriage. Collecting BAH at the dependant rate when not fully qualified is against the UCMJ. If divorce paperwork has not gone through yet, they are still married.

Do a search and find the Legal Office on the nearest military installation. They can help you out the best. If you are married to a military member, it’s free and your right. Even if you spouse decided to jump ship on you.

November 9, 2010 at 9:28 pm
(18) Derek says:

I currently have a senior enlisted soldier in my Chain of Command who has lived in Germany going on 8 years and is “married”. I know he is entitled to OHA and he has 2 children but I know that he is in fact divorced and on his LES and ERB it says he is married. When he submitted his security clearance paperwork it said he was divorced in 2008. He is also claiming that his”family” lives in California in which they do not. I take big pride in integrity but this is a senior NCO that is doing this and getting away with it. Another soldiers saw this happening to collected all the evidence we found and turned it into either Military Special Investigations or CID and nothing has happened. You figure if you see someone doing the wrong thing and you don’t report it you are at fault also. But when you do report this and they do nothing about it that is demoralizing. There is also another senior NCO in our unit that just got busted he was a SFC/E-7 got court-martialed for BAH fraud and now he is a SPC/E-4 glad to see something happening to these sham marriages. It is a shame to all of the people with happy marriages to see others benefit. I am currently deployed and my wife and I miss each other every day and I do not receive BAH because my wife lives in on-post housing. But this senior NCO gets to reap the benefits of being married without anyone at home missing him everyday pull in OHA and BAH for the state of California. How do you hold your head high everyday and call yourself a soldier when your stealing from the government that your actually supposed to be supporting. I hope he gets what he deserves eventually. But the way the Army works he will probably make MSG/E-8 on this next list.

March 19, 2011 at 1:03 am
(19) Maggie says:

I am confused, who gets BAH at what rate if a couple marries, they are both in the military and each has a child who they have claimed as dependent. This are full time students (over 18). Do both members get BAH at with dependent rate or what? It is so confusing.

July 4, 2011 at 7:20 am
(20) Alex says:

I am writing because I am concerned by something my future mother in law would like my fiancee to do.

She sent us an email stating that we needed to come up with better numbers??? Apparently the form she submitted was rejected because the military stated she didn’t provide half of my fiancees expenses. The form I am talking about is

FORM DD 137-6

I read the form and it states it is used to determine dependency status for the purpose of bha and other benefits. Now I am concerned because we have 2 children together and we own our own business. So as such my mother in law in now way provides half of our support. don’t get me wrong she wanted us to visit for Christmas so she offered to pay for our tickets so that we could come visit. My question is if we lie and say she provides half our support will that have any effect on us being able to file our taxes since we will be making a substantial amount from the work we are doing for the banks. Also if we lie and then we get caught what would happen to us? I am telling my fiancee to tell her mom that we will not lie for her since I believe that this form in some way means that she will be getting more money that she is not technically entitled to. I also am concerned that if we lie and do get caught that my fiancee and I would somehow be held responsible at which point I could lose my business since the banks pull background checks on us every 6 months if we get arrested for some kind of fraud then the banks will no longer give us work. Which would ruin our company. Please someone let me know if this could get us into trouble and if so what would be the law that we would be breakig if you don’t mind. I know I seem lost but i am not in the military nor was I ever so all of this is new to me. I just would rather not end up in jail or a military prison.

November 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(21) concern citizen says:

Will you please investigate LS2 Renee Rose Nepomuceno Solis. She is base in Misawa,Japan. Reason why..because she is lying on her housing allowance. Her family is leaving in the Philippines but her family address was address in pico rivera,california. That is a fraud…you can check whos leaving on that address in Pico Rivera,her sister in law.. pls. let keep this a secret…even my e-mail address just keep it a secret

November 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(22) Concern Citizen says:

investigate LS3 Renee Rose Nepomuceno Solis.. she is lying on her housing allowance,thats fraud… She is base in Misawa,Japan. Her Family is leaving in the Philippines not in Pico,Rivera,Ca.

May 10, 2012 at 12:51 am
(23) justwondering says:

What happens if army soldier is divorced? His ex wife remarried to guy she cheated with during her marriage to soldier.Soldier is still claiming her as his wife also claiming her and her husbands children on his military papers.I dont feel she should be entitled to any military benefits at all.She is remarried for one and she doesnt stay with her ex who is soldier.Those kids arent his and dont stay with him.The second child was just born in 2011.He is committing fraud and so is she.

September 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(24) Kristy says:

I have a case where two people go married for the benefits. They do not live together but the husband receives benefits for BAH with dependemt. They are both openly seeing other people with facebook accounts showing they are in another relationship. They are not getting a divorce because the are also defruading the schools for loans but not actually completing classes just enough to get the loan check.

October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm
(25) Auline says:

BAH Fraud. My sisters husband is a CW3 stationed in
Okinawa Japan with 1st SF. He had an affair and they did nothing. My sister had to fight to get him to agree to give her BAH as she is not employed. She moved to Hawaii, and is receiving BAH for Hawaii. When her lease was up, her husband refused to sign the new lease. Because of all the financial debt from the attorney cost and not being employed my sister had to move in with her son. She told her husband she moved however he did not report her change in location. My sister needs the BAH money but she is afraid she will get in trouble because her husband has not reported the move. He is also receiving family seperation pay although they are legally divorced. can my sister get in trouble for accepting the BAH.

April 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm
(26) jan says:

Question, I know someone who is in the middle of a divorce, filed but not yet final for another 3 or 4 months. His lease on his apartment is up and he had to move out. His wife left with the baby 6 months ago. He was told that he would continue to get BAH until the divorce is actually final. Meanwhile, he is living with us and drives over an hour, hour and a half to and from base. Meanwhile he is paying support based on the BAH that will stop soon. I just want to know-is this information correct. Hope he is not misinformed and will have to pay back this as he is using it for gas money now. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

August 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(27) Tiffany says:

I am divorced from an E-4 Army soldier (National Guard) who has recently been medically retired. Deployed twice since 2006, he has managed to stay on active duty orders since his return in 2009. All of this time he has been claiming a different zip code, one in Chicago because the BAH allowance was much higher due to our down state small town being a depressed financial area. Since 2009, he has been in the Wounded Warrior program and I’m not sure if he’s been receiving BAH or not since he’s been on that but I think so. He says he has a “combat related” ankle injury, although he really tripped on a curb during morning PT in Ft. Eustice Virginia. So as I stated, he has recently been medically retired at the age of 37. Is this a crime that could be reported and if so what would happen to him. Would I in any way be held accountable for any of his actions. I told him not to do it but he didn’t listen to me & did it anyway. Please help. Thank you.

August 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm
(28) Becky says:

I have been divorced for two years. My ex husband is still active duty and married the woman he was having an affair with. He has not given me one cent for our children but he brags about collecting BHA for our two sons. Can he collect money for our sons even though he does not pay ANYTHING for their support?

December 31, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(29) Francesca says:

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted
at this site is really fastidious.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.