1. Careers

Rod Powers

Army Changes Mandatory Retirement/Separation Age

By April 10, 2006

The active duty Army has changed the mandatory retirement/separation age for active duty soldiers from age 55 to age 62, according to MILPER Message 06/104. In January, the Army changed their maximum enlistment age from 34 to 39. The change to the maximum separation/retirement age will allow soldiers who enlist at ages greater than 34 to obtain 20 years of service, which is required for active duty retirement pay.

Soldiers with questions pertainng to the new retention eligibility requirements should contact their servicing career counselors.
Comments
February 15, 2007 at 4:01 pm
(1) Timothy Nagy says:

The active duty Army has changed the mandatory retirement/separation age for active duty soldiers from age 55 to age 62. How does this affect tgr Reserve component. Tha maximum first time enlistment was raised to 42 years old. What about the mandatory retirement age? Will it be 62 years old?

July 3, 2011 at 9:53 am
(2) unknown says:

all

Lets get real. We all need understand ags. Older are experince wiill help the Yonger gen out to do the proper ways to do things What is age. AGE of 67 is full Retirment age for SOC Department.

October 26, 2007 at 9:11 am
(3) Dale Lester says:

Has the change to Title X and DOD instructions been adopted by other services, do you think it will and will this affect prior service members who want to re-affiliate (maybe on an age waiver)?

October 9, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(4) MSG Robert Houghmaster says:

Will there be a change that will allow Army reservist to stay beyond age 60 as well?
I would like to stay a member of the Army Reserves for another 2 years. I have been Mobilized no for the past 4 years and want to continue to serve. How can I get a waver to do this.

October 14, 2008 at 5:20 pm
(5) The Sarge says:

Let’s summarize what we have, thus far, on the S-1 front:

* Age limits, for both initial enlistments and for retention/re-up, have gone to levels once unheard of.

* Levels of recruitment/retention are at all-time highs.

* Enlistment critereon, in terms of education and moral standards, have been lowered.

* Financial inducements, in terms of educational assistance and MOS bonus monies, are at levels consistant with corporate America.

Now let’s look at reality:

* It’s good that qualified, experienced, and motivated Soldiers are allowed to continue serving.

* In effect, the monetary incentives toward military service have, in no small way, created a mercenary-istic force. While the traditional “Uncle Sam Wants You” posters no longer attract the attentions of youth, the military (and corporate America, for that matter) must contend with a “what’s in it for me” generation, becoming part of an organization, the U.S. Military, which, by its very nature, demands a subrogation of self-interest to the organizational goals/mission.

* No one ever accused G.I. Joe of being a genius, or, for that matter, a saint. However, no one, who has served in any capacity short of bottle washer can argue with the fact that all levels of the military have become somewhat more complex than yesteryear. Furthermore, our National/International interests are best-served by instruments, the individual Soldier, of basic moral standard, not alter boys, or Eagle Scouts, but simply young people who have managed, in 18-and-some years, to keep their noses clean (as an NCO, I found many hours tending to basic mama and papa issues, much to the detriment of untended military issues…leadership and counseling do have time limits…after all, the military is not a “no child left behind” organization).

So where do the answers lie? I wish I had them all…all I know is this:

* The Draft, in spite of the inherent difficulties, has served us well in past conflicts.

* While I don’t have any figures to back this up, the Draft has to be a whole lot more cost-effective. Waving a stack of money and tuition support in a kid’s face is not, in my humble opinion, the way to draw the youth of America into Service. Save that expense for Military Personnel who have proven themselves (Retention, MOS re-class, and, yes, VA).

We…that means our National Leadership…need to look at the cause/affect of these issues, not just in the here-and-now, but for future National Security.

Sarge

October 15, 2008 at 8:07 pm
(6) Sarge 2 says:

I agree 100% with your ideals and realization on todays format for future military practice. However, you know just as well as I do, even Uncle Sam, Jr., -is what I call him today-, has his own motivations and alterier motives. As soon as the public catches wind of DRAFT, they scatter and become uncollective. I went in during the 80′s and I am re-enlisting as we speak(type). Retention should always be the number one priority. Why pay to educate the unknowing when ,the ability of soldiers like yourself and I of whom have already been and continue to be,are ready and willing to continue or simply change MOS to fill unoccupied spots. Good Day to you Sarge, God Bless.

October 18, 2008 at 6:11 pm
(7) The Sarge says:

Thanks, S-2…continue the march!

Sarge

October 20, 2008 at 4:06 pm
(8) The Sarge says:

MSG H:

Go through your MACOM

CHARLIE MIKE!

The Sarge

October 16, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(9) long term says:

What is a good MACOM number and where do I find it? I too would like to deploy again past aget 60 but do not see similiar MILPER06-104 for Reservist?

May 20, 2013 at 8:33 am
(10) Bradley says:

I read the comments and the question will the retirement age for the army reserves be rised to 62. I am here in Germany and with the draw down it will be hard to get people in the reserves over here sine you will have to have a job. finding a job with the host nation is not easy anymore, unless you really live here like most of the people in unit. being able to stay until 62 would help alot with our MOS it will be hard to replace us