1. Careers

Rod Powers

Army Sergeant Wins Lottery

By October 4, 2003

An Army Sergeant, visiting his family in Georgia on a 30-day leave from his assignment in Korea won the 150 million dollar jackpot in the multi-state Mega Millions Lottery.

Sergeant Stephan Moore, age 30, elected to take the instant cash, and received 88.9 million dollars (before taxes) last Wednesday. Sources say that the Sergeant, who has already served 9 months in Korea, plans to ask for a discharge.
Comments
November 13, 2006 at 1:01 pm
(1) Ben Rodriguez says:

Interesting…I had heard somewhere that military members who win the lottery can get discharged if they wish. I still don’t believe it. Where in the UCMJ does it cover this possibility?

July 30, 2011 at 9:28 am
(2) Unknown says:

Dude,
Who cares if you can get a discharge or not. Your a freakin millionaire! I would walk to $%#@ out and say, peace! Go buy me a bit of land in cheap down south and sit on it. Screw the government.

November 13, 2006 at 1:07 pm
(3) Ben Rodriguez says:

On a similar note: Do you know of any record of a military member staying in the military after winning the lottery. (A large amount of money of course)

August 2, 2008 at 10:34 am
(4) Mike D. says:

You will be separated from the military with a honorable discharge. The UCMJ covers articles that you can be charged with through non-judicial punishment or court marshal.

October 4, 2008 at 1:26 am
(5) Tyler T. says:

Hey…I have been trying to find WHERE in the UCMJ it says that you can be discharged after recieving a LARGE SUM of money like this. I’m an up and coming Country Artist and I have been offered a LARGE SUM OF MONEY to get me out of the Marine Corps but I cant Find WHERE this So called…order is that states the “marine” in my case can be discharged any Help? I would greatly appreciate it THANKS

February 17, 2011 at 10:45 am
(6) cpl nguyen says:

it doesnt quote large sum of money, but it does say something about a opportunity of a lifetime that you cant pass up. this is just off the top of my head, i remember reading it several months ago. look it up

May 22, 2009 at 10:24 am
(7) spc type, one each says:

CHAPTER 5-3: SECRETARIAL PLENARY AUTHORITY (“ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY”)
This provision of AR 635-200 provides for those soldiers who desire to leave active duty but who do not qualify under any other provision of AR 635-200. Recent guidance (MILPER Message NR 97-095) emphasizes that requests under this provision will not be approved unless discharge is clearly “in the best interests of the Army,” not necessarily in the best interests of the soldier. Individual requests which serve only the interest of the soldier – particularly those involving soldiers with critical military skills or bonus recipients – will not be approved except under exceptional circumstances. Requests for separation more than three months before ETS normally will be disapproved.
Unit Commanders must understand that this chapter is approved at the Secretary of the Army level and must be in writing. This chapter is requested by the soldier on a DA Form 4187 which is forwarded through the chain of command and transmitted via fax (DSN: 221-1965) to HQDA, ATTN: TAPC-PDT-S. Chain of command forwarding endorsements must indicate rationale to support determination that early separation is in the best interest of the Army as well as a statement whether the soldier has received education benefits counseling. In addition, chain of command forwarding endorsements must recommend approval or disapproval and, if recommending approval, include a recommendation concerning characterization of service (either Honorable or General, Under Honorable Conditions).
1-18 counseling Required: No (1-18a)
Medical Required: Only for involuntary separation (1-34a)
Mental Required: No (l-34b)
Approval Authority: HQDA (TAPC-PDT-S) (5-3e)
Type of discharge authorized: Honorable or General, Under Honorable Conditions (5-1)
Documents Required for Chapter:
( ) DA Form 4187 from soldier (See example – Appendix I). The DA Form 4187 will be approved/disapproved by the Company Commander and forwarded through the chain of command by endorsement to the approval authority. The intermediate commander(s) will either disapprove the request or recommend approval and if recommending approval, will specify which characterization of discharge is appropriate, either Honorable, or General, Under Honorable Conditions.
( ) Statement from soldier explaining in detail why approval of request would be in “the best interest of the military”.
( ) Affidavit or statement from agency substantiating soldier’s stated reason for elimination (i.e. letter from employer detailing better job opportunity to include intent to hire, better salary or affidavit detailing lottery winnings).
( ) Education benefits counseling (Appendix C)
( ) Debt avoidance counseling (Appendix D)
( ) DA Form 2A
( ) DA Form 2-l or ERB

February 26, 2012 at 5:49 am
(8) vanessa says:

I knew Set Moore. He is a soft spoken black man. He finished his tour of duty in Korea and last he told me he was unsure whether or not he was going to leave the service. He is a great guy and I hope he is doing well.

February 26, 2012 at 5:51 am
(9) vanessa says:

I knew Sgt. Moore. He is a soft spoken black man. He finished his tour of duty in Korea and last he told me he was unsure whether or not he was going to leave the service. He is a great guy and I hope he is doing well.

March 12, 2012 at 5:36 am
(10) The A says:

I would think that being a millionaire and active duty would cause a conflict of interest and requiring discharge makes sense.

March 31, 2012 at 6:26 am
(11) Ree says:

I would imagine it is more a matter of buying out your remaining contract with the military which would the give the army an “incentive”. Hence it is not technically a discharge. A lot of the military’s forms of “punishment” or whatever you want to call it revolve around pay deductions, rank removals, and threat of dishonorable discharge. Which if someone has enough cash I imagine would prove ineffective. Yes there are other forms of punishment but generally those are reserved for serious issues.

May 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm
(12) k mc says:

i want too break free……(queen) …….the land of the free …..class